586,807 active members*
8,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 57 123451353
    And here is an example of a 45tooth gear cut out on the engraver. The gear came out very nice. Notice how only one of the bogus got cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45t2.jpg  

That is nice steve. What software do you use for drawing your gears?

Thanks Diarmaid -

I really do like gears...and with the aim of making gears of different tooth count that can mesh together, I cobbled together a little excel application. At first, it was for g-code only, so I could make wooden gears with cnc. But recently made a PLT version.
    You can download here, if ya like:

http://www.geocities.com/sidi_steve/NewPix/picView.html
    GearCreate8

To get the g-code to compile, macros must be enabled. But to get PLT, you can enter the dimensions on the GearDataEntry worksheet and the results are on the LaserPLT worksheet.

Steve

After I bought it, I got a quote for less from:
    http://www.hxlaser.com/en/products/chapter.htm

And supposedly, the software at HX does support vector AND raster images...
    this machine you posted I just got a email back from and they said they now sell from a U.S. Merchant. But unfortunately he needs his nut and the machine is almost double the price. I don't know if you can get them direct anymore.

http://www.electronicutopia.com/ This is the US sales now
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

miljnor

Maybe you should have a look at this site: http://www.hflaser.com/jgdkj.html

Im thinking about the 3040A machine. It is more expensive than the IE300 (Less expensive than that crazy new price!) but it comes with a larger cutting area for the extra cash so its justified, and the distributors are in Canada.

Unfortunately there have been no replies to my post about it so I dont have a clue if its any good.

www.hxlaser
    www.hflaser

These laser machines all are in the Chinese Jinan,I understand them extremely,Because we are the colleague,Or is the friend,
    I sell such machine in US and Europe,But they need the customs to authenticate,
    3,040 prices estimates are between 1000-3000 US dollar,And he is the RISC machine,Was inferior to DSP is good
    Hoped I may help you,About this machine

Hi Sidi Steve. I ordered an ie300 last week by wire transfer to their bank, and they got the funds and shipped within a week. The transfer cost $45., but I felt better doing it this way. Anyway, they said it had been shipped via FedEx and I should get it in 3-5 days. Assuming Customs doesn't delay delivery, I should have it in a couple of days. I hope it arrives in good condition, and that all I will have to do to get it up and running is djust the mirrors and lens.
    Anyway, I just read your story about cutting vectors, and I have to say that your hard earned info and techniques to cut vectors is pure gold. You have earned my heartfelt thanks! When I get it up and running I'll post my experiences and results. I hope I will also be able to provide some useful info for any other users out there. Again, THANK YOU! I wouldn't have figured out your techniques by myself in a year of trying. I'll keep you posted.

Hi smparkinson -

Well congrats on the order and I hope it arrives safe, sound and soon.

One thing you can do while you are waiting is to go to a hardware store and buy a clean 5 gallon bucket. Then go to a grocery store and get at least three gallons of purified water.
    Also, if you find a sale on poster board or any other card stock kinda papery stuff, then you'll have lots of stuff to practice your cuts on. Me, I went dumpster diving behind an art supply store and got lots of stuff about the weight of manilla folder, but white and red.

Anyway, always good to practice on something cheap.

Also, Might be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher nearby. Some of my experiments had the laser setting too high, and this caused the paper to burn. Hasn't been a problem yet, in that it hasn't caused the whole paper to ignite yet. I have seen flame and I have been able to blow it out.

If you have questions, lemme know. And please do keep me posted.

Steve

Exclamation Regarding Electronic Utopia

I just wanted to apprise everyone of my experience with Electronic Utopia. If ever the words Buyer Beware were applicable, this is the place. I purchased the 40 watt laser from him, by way of Ebay. After six weeks of waiting, and many unanswered phone calls and emails, I filed a grievance through PayPal. He immediately contacted me with a tracking number and begged me to withdraw my complaint, as the unit was on the way. DON'T EVER WITHDRAW YOUR PAYPAL COMPLAINT UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY SATISFIED! But I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to refile it, and complied. The unit arrived via UPS a couple days later (Thursday, June 8th) -- now almost seven weeks after placing the order. I opened it immediately and inspected it. As you've probably already guessed, it was damaged. The laser tube was shattered, the fan unit was broken, and the cord that goes from the transformer to the unit is missing. I took photos of the damage and emailed them off to him post-haste. You're not going to believe what his response was. I am still sitting here, slack-jawed, myself. According to him, the photos are not of the unit he sent me. Apparently, he says, I have photographed another unit and am trying to commit mail fraud. Like I could afford two? As I've already mentioned, PayPal can't help me because I was naive enough to cancel the grievance at his request. And even if I hadn't, their limit for re-imbursement is only $1000. I've filed a grievance with Ebay, but it looks as though they are going to just kick me back to Paypal, because that's the payment method I used. I've filed a damage report with UPS yesterday, so I have no idea how that's going to come out yet. I don't hold out much hope for that because it will no doubt involve coordination with the vendor. That's obviously not going to happen. I have another avenue that I plan to pursue tomorrow (Monday), but overall, it looks like I'm out 2-grand. Small potatos to some, but I am laid-off and was hoping to use this opportunity to start a small business. Guess I start job-hunting tomorrow.

I'm not telling you to buy or not to buy from this individual. I'm just letting everybody know what I encountered. I wish I had this information available to me on April 22nd. My choice about whether to purchase or not would have been considerably different.

Hi colonel click,

Im really sorry about that mate. 2k is a lot of money, and a fortune if your out of work. Your info is much appreciated though. I wont be buying from him for sure.

Thanks for the kind sentiment, Diarmaid.

You know, what adds insult to injury here is that I had actually started to purchase from Ink Express back in March, but my banker called me and strongly encouraged me to withdraw my transfer (prior to executing it). He expressed deep concern that transferring money overseas had, in the past, resulted in the money disappearing down a "black hole", as he put it. So I decided to err on the side of caution and purchase from somebody domestic, with the belief that, although more expensive, I would stand a better chance of actually receiving the merchandise. It now looks like I should have gone with the "black hole". At the very worst, I wouldn't have lost as much.

I don't know if anyone on here has successfully ordered from Ink Express yet, but I would be interested in hearing about it. I see that smparkinson has placed an order, and I wish him the best of luck. If it goes well, maybe in 6 months or a year I can afford to follow his lead.

I just don't know how guys like that can sleep at night. Man, I am sure sorry that you have experienced such a horrible experience.

Here are my thoughts for damage control.

The cable, at least for my IE300, was like a standard computer cable. These can be found at Radio Shack, for sure, but often can be found at thrift stores for cents on the dollar. And many garage sales have some kind of computer equipment that would have the cable.

The fan, again can be found at Radio Shack or from old computers or similar.

The laser tube...I haven't tried, but according to the FAQ on the Ink Express website:

http://www.iehk.net/faq.html#6

08.Where can I purchase the laser tube and the Optics?
    Ink Express can supply this consumables at low price.

I would try to contact people at:

hxlaser:
    http://www.hxlaser.com/en/index.htm

and
    Ink Express
    http://www.iehk.net/

and
    RedSail (hflaser)
    http://www.hflaser.com/

Send them a picture of the model you have and ask for a quote on the tube with shipping.

While it is evident that you do have several problems, it may not be entirely dire, just a supreme pain in the ass.

I would start with the power cable and fan. They are cheap. At that point, you can do some testing. As in, you can power the unit on. Be sure the laser power know is ALL THE WAY to the left. When the unit powers on, it will try to drive the head to its home position, which is upper left. If it goes there and stops, then at least you know that the motion control system works. And if so, then you'll know whether to invest in a tube. DO NOT TRY to test the software and DO NOT press the "laser test" button. I am thinking that if the unit tries to activate the laser, but the laser isn't there, then "BAD THINGS" could happen... I believe that as long as one does not try to activate the tube, then one can power the unit on to test the X and Y components.
    Also note that when under power, the head can not be moved manually. But with power off, you can move the head. So, a real simple test is to manually move the head somewhere in the middle and then power the unit on. Finally, no need to worry about the water, as the water is only to cool the tube.

Please feel free to ask me any further questions. I wish you luck!

Steve

I meant "knob" not "know"

Be sure the laser power KNOB is ALL THE WAY to the left.

Hey Colonel -

For what its worth - I felt exactly the same way. I almost ordered from Electronic Utopia. I was uneasy about sending money to the potential black hole. But, after sending Elec Distopia an email asking for info, I heard nothing and decided to go the route of Ink Express. It arrived and the experience was mostly alright.

Just outta curiosity, where are you located

Steve

So why did you all not buy one from me then???

dixonjk,
    I did previously state that I might be interested in one if the price and software were right. See post #30. I never heard a word from you.
    Scott

Knob. Got it.

Thanks, Steve. Your suggestions are highly insightful and greatly appreciated. The first thing I want to do is wait and see if UPS wants to inspect this. So I don't dare touch anything unless or until they get back to me. At that point, I will print out your post and follow it like a recipe. Ain't got nothin' to lose, right?

So you have successfully purchased from Ink Express, then? Wonderful! Wish I had discovered this forum months ago. Which brings me to Mr. dixonjk's post. I am truly sorry, sir. I did, indeed, only discover CNCzone today. Or, to be more precise, my buddy Paul discovered it today. He was so incensed about what has happened to me that he started googling around trying to find more information and such. "Check your email", he says. I began at the beginning of this thread and followed it all the way through. I knew that I had to get the word out about my experiences, so I signed up immediately. Glad I did. You folks seem like a pretty good bunch. Hope I can save just one person from making the same mistake I did.

The ol' Colonel currently calls Springfield, Missouri home, Steve.

Hey Colonel -

I was hoping you might be right down the proverbial street..but alas, I am in Nor California. Regardless, I'll try to provide assistance.

Of course, it makes sense to try to get the situation resolved properly first, as that would be best. Let us know how it goes.

again, I wish you luck.

Steve

Only if the proverbial street is 1900 miles long. On a recent trip to northern Arizona, the motel operator asked me where I was from. I smiled and said "Just down the road." She gave me the expected look of perplexity. I said "See that street out front: Route 66? I live about 1200 miles THAT way." (In fact, I live one block off old Route 66 in Springfield, MO.) We became fast friends.

I'll keep you up to date on the progress, or lack thereof, of my little.... um... situation. Thanks again, Steve.

here is the email of the suppliers of Electronic utopia. I am sure they would be interested in how thier American supplier is doing business.

And who knows maybe they will make good on it. And if they don't you could always say the the P.R. would be good if they "made it right" and bad if the didn't. Their choice.

[email protected]

Is it me or do all of the Online names of the chinees guys look the same?

I am going to order one of the bigger units from ink express. But will wait to see if smparkinson's come in good condition.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Page 3 of 57 123451353