586,396 active members*
2,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Buy it or Not? Craftsman 101, 6 x 18 Lathe

Buy it or Not? Craftsman 101, 6 x 18 Lathe

So...found this lathe really cheap on Craigslist. $100 asking.

Craftsman 101.21400 model 6 x 18 lathe, Like an Atlas 6x18. Not the Double A company 109 model. As I understand it this one has the bigger spindle thread, I think 1x8 vs the AA 1/2".

No motor, but I've got a line on a free 1/2 hp 1740 RPM (my Dad got one by mistake when he needed a 1 hp)....and I'll be seeing him for Thanksgiving...

Worth a hundred bucks? I was leaning towards getting it..unless it is just absolutely terrible in person I don't think my downside is much at all.

From the listing
    "Older Craftsman bench top metal lathe. 3 jaw chuck, change gears and lathe dog. Belt drive but no motor.Somewhat rough condition with some rust but all parts still work.
    Now well oiled. Little work gets a good lathe Also have owners manual Asking $100
    "

Opinions appreciated. It looks like fun to restore...not sure I'd keep it forever...and goodness knows I don't NEED one more project right now...but I can't help myself. Don't think I'd want to CNC this one...

Thanks in advance for the opinions,

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dugpits View Post
    So...found this lathe really cheap on Craigslist. $100 asking.

Craftsman 101.21400 model 6 x 18 lathe, Like an Atlas 6x18. Not the Double A company 109 model. As I understand it this one has the bigger spindle thread, I think 1x8 vs the AA 1/2".

No motor, but I've got a line on a free 1/2 hp 1740 RPM (my Dad got one by mistake when he needed a 1 hp)....and I'll be seeing him for Thanksgiving...

Worth a hundred bucks? I was leaning towards getting it..unless it is just absolutely terrible in person I don't think my downside is much at all.

From the listing
    "Older Craftsman bench top metal lathe. 3 jaw chuck, change gears and lathe dog. Belt drive but no motor.Somewhat rough condition with some rust but all parts still work.
    Now well oiled. Little work gets a good lathe Also have owners manual Asking $100
    "

Opinions appreciated. It looks like fun to restore...not sure I'd keep it forever...and goodness knows I don't NEED one more project right now...but I can't help myself. Don't think I'd want to CNC this one...

Thanks in advance for the opinions,

Doug

If it was near me I would get it in a hart beat can't beat the price

Those are really nice little lathes, would be a treat to restore and plenty of parts are available on evilbay. Grab it!

Did you get it? I'm thinking for $100, that lathe sold pretty fast.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BrassBuilder View Post
    Did you get it? I'm thinking for $100, that lathe sold pretty fast.
    Mike
    Well...I THOUGHT I got it...since I sent an email telling him I'd take it.

He sent back an address and number to call to set up the time to pick it up. I emailed a time, and also called. Took a couple tries to get him on the phone and he told me he sold it a couple hours before.

I shouldn't be irritated at all I guess...but I was a little. I told the guy I'd take it...to me that means it's already sold. I've sold stuff on CL that way, and had people call me that could get to my house faster...but I just would tell them that someone already claimed it..but if that fell through they were next in line.

Oh well...maybe next time. Just gotta be patient! Now that I was expecting to get one I'm having trouble with that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone...I should have just bought it immediately. I will know next time.

-Doug