587,033 active members*
3,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > FLA-100 Squaring the carriages to the rail

FLA-100 Squaring the carriages to the rail

I have spent hours trying to get the carriages to roll smoothly the full length of the X (long) axis. This is a kit I purchased from FLA.
    I believe the problem is that the carriages are not square to the rails and the only thing I can find about squaring them is the following on the web site:

"To square up the two carriages, it is recommended to clamp a square to the rail and then clamp both carriages to the rail and square before tightening their connections to the extrusion running between them"

I am having a hard time understanding the above statement and hope that someone who has built these type of machines can help me to understand the process of squaring the carriages and making them run smoothly. I know that these things work, hundreds of machines use them but they sure can be a pain to line up properly.

Thanks to all who try to help and Happy Holidays to all!
    Regards, Carl

Can you give more detail on how the problem occurs. Is it possible your rails are not parallel? If the spacing between them various, your carriages may not roll smoothly on the entire length. Do you have a dial gauge to check this with?

Here is a two part video that may answer your questions if not get ahold of Nate and see what he says..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZLi1xp2-0&feature=related]Fine Line Automation FLA-100 Build Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRM8iHxuM58&feature=related"]Fine Line Automation FLA-100 Build Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the reply. I found the major problem. One of the carriages was
    on upside down. Now it seems much smoother. A lot of hours was spent over such a stupid mistake. Thanks again.
    Regards, Carl

No problem glad you found the issue I have the same kit arriving tomorrow UPS. Here is a fairly detailed link with over 100 pictures of a build good reference...

[Complete] 2' x 3' Custom CNC Router from 80/20 Aluminum Extrusion

Lou

Thanks for the info, Lou. That has to be the best build log on the net.
    Enjoy building your kit!

Carl
    Regards, Carl

Carl, thanks you enjoy your as well..