586,103 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Following Error and Recovery

I'm experimenting with a VSD-E drive running 2 PMDC servo motors. What does the drive do after a following error and an enable cycle?

I'm doing the following:
    1) Send a bunch of step pulses
    - during this, motion is stopped, say by mechanical end of travel.
    This sets LED status number 5 - following error.
    2) Drive enable line low.
    3) Drive enable line high.
    - now drive appears to resume move at an arbitrary step rate with LED status number 3 - recovering from ...

If motion was stopped by end of travel, recovery isn't possible because it will just run into end of travel again. The drive also seems to watch the encoders while disabled. If I manually move the axis away from the end of travel, when the drive is re-enabled, it goes right back to (and past) that end.

Power cycling the drive logic supply clears the fault and the remembered step count. Is that the only means of clearing the following error? Is there a way to clear any internally stored step count?

Thanks for info,
    Pete

Hello.

That is a good feature sometimes and a bad the other.
    In the tragectory menu you can define the velocity that the drive try to recover from error. If you set a lower value, then you have some time to send another commanded position to the drive.

For example: You hit a limit switch (should not happen the 1st place), then you manually move the axis away from it with the drive in disable mode. When you enable again the drive, it will go again to the limit switch position, unless you command another position the meanwhile. This is what I do, and it works for me.

It is not obvious to me what new position I should command. I'm using the drive to control two axes, so it is not necessarily clear which axis even stopped. It is also unclear how many steps (in the opposite direction) are needed to 'undo' the overtravel. DCTool doesn't appear to give many options for configuring the drive.