586,481 active members*
2,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > What are the best milling cutters out there ?

What are the best milling cutters out there ?

I have asked around and searched the web, whats your opinion ? Thanks

For what? There is not one size fits all that really good at everything.

For aluminium and preferably weldon

garr alumnicut

This question is too broad,It is like you choose the best peanut from thousands of peanuts. What kind of milling cutters do you want?How much do you want to spend?Only to determine what you need to choose the right products.
    http://www.morntech.com/: Laser engraving machine , CNC router

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    garr alumnicut
    Alumastar??

Thankyou, the machine it would be used on is an xyz mini mill 560,i kinda dived in and asked the question without thinking im asking out of intrest as i want to know more about the different brands of milling cutters and what are the well known ones in general. for example mercedes are a very good well known car manufacturer weather it be a family 4x4 or a sports car, what are the some of the best milling cutters manufacturers weather it be a slot drill, end mill etc, thanks

For example, a mercedes is a very good vehicle, unless it isn't. I know, I've owned 'em. 3 over the last 40 years.

Melin makes good cutters. Except for the ones I've bought.

SGS makes good cutters. Except for the ones I've bought.

IMHO, you're safer believing that if it's made in China, it's junk than believing that if it's made in Germany it's good.....so where does that leave ya?

You generally get what you pay for. My daddy told me that a cheap tool is never a bargain, and decades later I still agree with him.

For what you're likely doing, more an issue is how you use the tool, not which brand, as long as you're buying a well established product designed for your application. Tesco isn't likely to carry that.

fizz
    yes alumastar

Okay, thankyou for your feedback

Your machine can never run the speeds and feeds that make sense for buying solid carbide, though it will last forever. Or until you break it.

I would go with an aluminum-specific HSS or HSS-PM end mill. I like Weldon Ski-Cut. I have a few Cleveland HSS-PM (high speed steel powdered metal) made specifically for aluminum, and those just kick ass in my old Bridgeport. They are the 3 on the far right of this photo:

In face mills I have this cool insert cutter which is a 4" (102mm) cutter. I run it at the machine's top speed with the insert you see, and I get nice finishes. In 8 months of occasional use, I still can't see any indication that the dead-sharp inserts have ever touched metal.

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    Your machine can never run the speeds and feeds that make sense for buying solid carbide, though it will last forever. Or until you break it.

I would go with an aluminum-specific HSS or HSS-PM end mill. I like Weldon Ski-Cut. I have a few Cleveland HSS-PM (high speed steel powdered metal) made specifically for aluminum, and those just kick ass in my old Bridgeport. They are the 3 on the far right of this photo:

In face mills I have this cool insert cutter which is a 4" (102mm) cutter. I run it at the machine's top speed with the insert you see, and I get nice finishes. In 8 months of occasional use, I still can't see any indication that the dead-sharp inserts have ever touched metal.

never say never

Theres a big difference between a cnc and a bridge port.

I run carbide every day 12-14 hours aday on alum and I can wear them out, HHS or weldon style I will wear out in a tenth of the time.

I also run a 3 and 4" face cutter everyday (sandvik) with there alum inserts and usually have to replace/index inserts about once ever 3 months, otherwise it doesnt cut free and flatness doesnt stay at 0

show me a hss or non carbide endmill 1/2 or under that will outlast/out run a carbide on alum and I will buy them and try them.
    and dont forget about tool deflection.

Alum. is very abrasive and dirty,

I'll give you that about a big difference between CNC and a (manual) Bridgeport. However, I'm fairly certain that the OP's CNC isn't running 15HP or more at 12,000 rpm or more. Even many older CNC machines with 7500rpm spindles can't take much of a cut because they have no torque at high rpm.

Yes, aluminum can be very abrasive and dirty. Some Al has such a high silicon content that it wears tools faster than steel might.

I'm referring to home shop use. Of course carbide will outlast and out-produce HSS. But in larger diameters at low speeds (my machine tops out at 2720 rpm), its a long long time before I wear one out.

hss= niagra cutter
    carbide= fullerton or ultra tool
    cheap indexable= miltec

any thing under 3/8 i buy carbide because hss isnt that much cheaper

try Discount Tools, Cutting Tools, Abrasives

im in his office at least once a week because sells tools i like at prices im willing to pay

The OP is located in the UK. I think it would be best if he got info on sources local to him. Sorry, but this is something I don't know about. He probably doesn't have access to many of the brands mentioned unless he imports himself, at great cost. Better to find local suppliers and brands. We can provide general info about materials and styles, as we have.

good catch

looking at his msc book
    im going to say guhring, or sgs
    ive also had pretty good luck with accupro (msc's good house brand)
    i avoid value and select tools