586,129 active members*
3,017 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Mach3 Modbus GS2 spindle drive

Hello guys,

I am in the middle of a retro-fit of and old Harbor Fright Zay7032 (Rong Fu 32 I guess) to CNC.
    The original spindle motor was defective and would kick my breaker out half the time I fired it up. I was not in love with this motor enough to warrant opening it up and trying to figure it out. I just made an adapter plate and slapped a 2 HP 56C on it with a VFD. As it was just a manual mill I started and stopped the spindle on the drive keypad as required. Now I am changing the acme's out to ballscrews and nema 34 steppers ran by Mach3.
    I read the conversation on this topic back in 2006-2007 but could not get the thing going from that.
    Is there anyone around that got it to fully work (IE direction and speed)? Any info or comments are VERY WELCOME.

Little more info.

My cable is 9pin RJ12
    5 2
    3 3
    2 4
    This is as per the GSoft drive configuration utility's schematic.
    Under test modbus(in Mach3) I just get read timeouts no matter the address, baud, stop bits or parity
    I am doing something wrong.

Unhappy Pretty Please

:drowning: I am really hung here... If anyone has done the GS2 over modbus thing, please (pretty with sugar on it) post a quick writeup of the pitfalls experienced. I have done all I can think of.

if your going to a GS2 over serial mb, you need to set the GS2 switch to 232, further you will need to match the port configs the same in both vfd and serial plugin mb.
    lastly, you will need to convert the GS2 modbus registers to decimal and address those blocks in the SPMB. Lastly, you can also do "Block" addressing in the GS2 in where you can put all the data in one continous block that you want to control, and/or monitor, then talk to that. Look at the user docs section, read the "Brains users guide", it touches on hooking up modbus stuff.

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

I know this is newby stuff here, but where is the "user docs" located? Do you mean on cnczone? or on Artsoft? I could not find it with searches on either? Please a little more info on where this info is...

I think he's referring to here:
    Member Doc's
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks, I am still not getting the GS2 working but I did find a guide that mentions DL05/06 and DL205 series PLC's with network cards. I have a number of these units and install them daily. I am thinking I will throw an 06 at this and just let it control the drive with discreet points and analog speed. I just cannot believe I am unable to get the modbus serial coms working.