587,030 active members*
3,778 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > DXF file Vs real job output

Question DXF file Vs real job output

Hi,

I am new to CNC Routers.

I got few 2D cutting work done on a 8 mm thick wood with a 3 mm drill bit and got good output as the design has big cuts. (Actually i just send the corel files to the CNC guys and they cut it)

Right now i am working on some more designs that are very complicated and have a lot of tiny cuts (PFA attached DXF file) and i am not sure how will the output look on wood. (I am not sure that i have all cuts > 3mm as the bit is 3 mm thick)

Is there any tool, software that has the functionality to show how would a cut look with a particular drill bit ? Or a tool that can replicate CNC movement and output on screen instead of wood ?

Any pointers will be big help.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

When I imported your dxf file into Vcarve Pro it is a very large size.

316.8707 inches (8048.516 mm) wide
    1019.3867 inches (25892.422 mm) tall

I scaled it down to 48" wide by 96" tall as our plywood sheets are manufactured here and used a 1/8" (3mm) end mill cutter to set up a simulation in Vcarve Pro. I didn't add tabs that hold the parts in place, but that is easily done. The cuts go all the way through, but they don't have to. This could be a V carving if a V-cutter is used instead of an end mill.

Vcarve Pro and Cut 2D from Vectric.com can do this simulation with ease. There are many other software programs that can do this.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planter 2D.jpg   Planter 3D.jpg  
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Thanks a lot.

I tried the Cut 2D software. I put in the actual job sizze that was 13" X 42" and I set the toolpath profile and i can see the output like you posted above.

My concern is that i tried with another image (attached) and a circle that is 2 mm in diameter. I applied the job details again and this is the output i got.

I know that 3 mm bit will not be able to cut out pointy ends. The real job output will look like a 'L' rather than what the 3D view shows me. And also the circle will be a 3 mm instead of 2 mm.

is there some tool by which i can get this difference between dxf image and actual router output generated ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test.jpg  

Got that

The Carve 2D tool is capable of doing that all one needs to do is after all settings click on preview toolpath !!!

Cheers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by inyo View Post
    Got that

The Carve 2D tool is capable of doing that all one needs to do is after all settings click on preview toolpath !!!

Cheers !!!
    Once you learn to use all the features in Cut 2D and have figured out what to look for in the simulation views, then you can quickly generate the gcode file for cutting your project. Test the gcode while "cutting air" and watching the cutter to insure that it is doing what you expect it to do. Then you can zero the machine where you want it to start on the material and run the gcode for real. The whole process seems complicated at first, but the more you create the easier it gets.

Vcarve Pro will give you many more capabilities but it does cost more.

To cut the sharp points you will need to re-cut the inside of the profile with progressively smaller bits, which become progressively more likely to break.

Have fun with CNC,

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com