586,326 active members*
3,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Treadmill Motor Cooling

I was reading the post on here about eBay TM motors and thought maybe someone could use the method I came up with to cool them. I removed the flywheel/fan from mine and immediately found that airflow is needed.

I made a wood plug that duplicated the shape of the fan housing and the motor O.D. I turned the round end in the lathe, shaped the transition from round to square with the mill, a plane and coarse sandpaper. I then glued on a pair of blocks to make bumps to clear the brush boxes and then shrunk a 2 liter soda bottle tightly around it. I slit it down one side to remove it from the plug and then installed it with a tyrap, a piece of aluminum 200 mph tape and a strip of filament tape.

The soda bottle (P.E.T. plastic, polyethylene terephthalate) shrinks about 25-30% at approx. 400 deg f. and is amazingly tough stuff after shrinking.

The 1st fan I tried was from an old PC power supply but it didn't flow enough air so I bought a 12v 80 mm sq., 80 cfm server fan off eBay for $9.00. It does a great job but is a tad noisy. The fan is mounted to one of the motor studs via a cobbled up aluminum bracket. I mounted it so that it draws air from t'other end and blows the ozone rich air away from the motor guts. The insulation ought'a last longer that way.

I added a small switch and chose to turn it on & off manually so I can leave it running a few minutes after use to cool the motor all the way down.

Hope this helps someone. :cheers:

edit: Sorry, I just noticed the last pic shows the 1st fan and that it's set to blow air the wrong way. That was before someone on another forum mentioned the ozone thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fan Duct Blank.jpg   Fan Duct Plug.jpg   Fan Duct Shrink.jpg   Fan Duct Fini.jpg