586,761 active members*
7,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cuts/Horsepower

Hey,

This is the first Haas that I have been allowed to operate as I see fit. I am used to Okuma and Mori VM/HM's.

Today I am facing some A36 blocks with a 2" four-flute Sandvik Coromant Facemill. The inserts are TiN coated with a 0deg. lead angle and I am running the tool at 750 SFM and .012" LPT.

At an axial engagement of 1.6" and a radial engagement of .050" the spindle load is 90% but the motor in this machine tool is supposed to be 20HP so I am a little confused.

Is this the most I am going to get out of this machine or could it be damaged?

90% is kind of low. I have seen these machines go to 120% or even 150% without actually tripping out on overload. How does it sound before entering the cut, during the cut, and leaving the cut? Does the RPM actually drop?

Well, it is supposed to be about a 5hp cut. Could it just be that the load sensor is sensitive?

It sounds like awesome for the most part. I need to get it off the extended holder but aside from that I don't see why it couldn't handle .015"-.020" LPT.

P.S. loses maybe 6 RPM

The load meter might be out of calibration too.

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus0x1a4 View Post
    Well, it is supposed to be about a 5hp cut.
    5HP cut? I am confused. Our Mini Mill can barely handle the 1" Mitsubishi APX 3000 we have at light feeds. That is 7.5HP. I couldn't imagine trying to run the depths and feeds you are talking with a 2" mill! Maybe you can explain how your arrived at your 5HP cut estimate.

Mike

Welcome to HAAS!

Is this a 7500 RPM gear driven mill or the 10K or 15K Direct inline spindle?

I've noticed a huge difference in performance.

Well from what I calc'd I got around 2HP cut......

This is ass-u-me-ing that your terms are Backwards When you stated the Axial and Radial engagements

Radial is W.O.C. and Axial is D.O.C

Haha, oops. I mix those up a lot.

This is a 7,500 RPM BT40 spindle that I believe is belt-driven, I haven't had a chance to take the covers off and take a peak.

But yeah, it's barely a cut!

gizmo, I just used a hokey horsepower calculator at iscar's website, all my books are in a box somewhere and I forget the equations.

In short, your motor can't deliver much horsepower at slow speeds, that's why you want a gearbox when cutting a lot of ferrous materials.

In long, power is a function of both torque and speed. At low speeds, your power is limited by your torque. At 0 speed and full torque you will have 100% current and 0 mechanical power. The spindle is probably only capable of delivering 20HP in a small RPM range, generally down to half the nameplate speed (referred to as 2:1 constant hp). Below that, it goes into the constant torque regime, where power drops linearly with speed. Your load meter is a current meter so it will be maxed out in low speed high torque situations even though you are only getting a few HP out of it.

Matt

The 20HP is also a peak rating. Here are the torque/power curves for a 7500 rpm 20HP VF machine with no gearbox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TorqueVF2.jpg  
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for explaining that and for the picture guys. Geof where'd you find that?

A friend sent it to me. I have several VF machines.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.