586,740 active members*
2,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MACH3 closed loop encoder interface

Hi all,

I would like to announce that we are offering an encoder interface that closes the encoder loop for Mach3 servo systems. Which means no more lost position and no more spoiled work pieces. Will work with stepper systems also by adding an encoder to each stepper/axis.

How it works: The interface connects to a second parallel port and the encoders of each axis are connected to it. The encoder information is "shared" with the drive and the PC. Within Mach, a special macropump file is ran that monitors position and actual machine position (10 times per second). If an "following error" greater than which the user has set is observed, the machine is halted and the operator is alerted to the condition by an onscreen LED or a sonalert connected to the interface.

The encoder interface also provides 4 ouput relays as well as 5 extra inputs over and above the 8 that are used for A and B channels for each axis. Inputs for MPG's, OEM triggers, External buttons, etc.

For more info visit:

www.rogersmachine.net click on "Sound Logic"

Thanks, Ron Rogers

A question concerning closed loop control

I have a Sieg X3 mill which I be converting to CNC utilising Stepper motors. I intend to use Mach 3 as the CNC control s/w. I have already ordered the controller board and have been looking at a method of interfacing my 3 axis glass scale encoders with Mach 3. I already have a DRO.
    I understand from your literature that Mach3 will be able to interface with the encoders and be able to provide an on screen display of their positions. I have also read that closed loop control is not advised due to backlash/spring etc. I wonder then, what would be the benefit of the interface given that I already have a DRO.
    I would find the ability to auto find a home position useful, I would also find the feature of identifying lost steps useful. Can you explain any other benefits from partially closing the loop?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Robin Strachan