587,058 active members*
3,958 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: jog lock

Page 1 of 3 123

jog lock

Does anyone know of a setting or parameter on Haas mills that will disable the "Jog-Lock" button on the control keypad?

No. I do not know. But I want to ask why would you want to disable the jog lock button?

This is a small CNC, a TM1P. We have had a couple of instances where the button has been pressed accidently causing a crash. The TM1P is small enough that its not really needed (the jog lock), it takes less than 15 seconds to move the table from one extreme to the other. Holding the individual jog buttons or using the home button is all that is really needed, at least in our shop. It would just be a safe guard from future crashes.

Got it. I will see what I can find out. It maybe be Monday or later.

This topic was in a thread a year or two ago because someone had accidently hit Jog Lock and caused a crash. I have looked for Parameters to turn it off without any luck.

I find it convenient for running a facing cut or something simple in Handle Jog but I agree it is an accident waiting to happen. Especially like I did years ago, hit Jog Lock unintentionally with the Z axis selected and the cutter just above the work; eek crunch!!
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ok. Then I won't look to hard. Open the control cabinet. Locate the wires for the button. Cut and isolate them. Problem solved.

Next!

And that's just what happed today, except the cutter (1/8") was above the tool setter, not a work piece... I would have preferred a work piece. Now down one cutter and a tool setter.

Many forms of race cars use starter buttons instead of a toggle switch or keyed switch. On all the race cars I've had anything to do with, I made guards that essentially made the starter button recessed to avoid accidental starter operation. In other words, you have to stick your finger in a hole (heh!) to engage the starter.

I think the same thing could be done for the jog lock button. Just a small square box around the button so it is still accessible when needed, but you have to WANT to push it. You could machine something real nice with small threads that bolt from the other side of the panel, or tape some thin cardboard together and epoxy it to the panel, or anything in between.

One thing I have done on many items where the button get hit by mistake is very simple. Take a thick O-ring about the size of the button and put a dab of superglue on it. Place it on the keyboard right over the button. You will still be able to push the button, but it is harder and you won't do it by mistake anymore.

Works like a charm!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Ok. Then I won't look to hard. Open the control cabinet. Locate the wires for the button. Cut and isolate them. Problem solved.

Next!
    I don't think your are talking about the JOG LOCK button. There are no wires to cut.

IMO this is a non issue and I have never heard this to be a big problem. It definitely can happen from time to time if you are not paying attention, but most people quickly learn not to press the button. It's no different than accidentally pressing the wrong axis button; just look at what you are doing.

I like the O-ring idea, very simple, and potentially reversible. This is good, as the CNC is not mine.

I did the same thing in Z while facing a piece of Ti. Smoked 4 iscar inserts ruined the ti and I might have had to change my shorts as well. Never used that button again.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    ....IMO this is a non issue and I have never heard this to be a big problem. It definitely can happen from time to time if you are not paying attention, but most people quickly learn not to press the button. It's no different than accidentally pressing the wrong axis button; just look at what you are doing.
    It is not exactly a non-issue and your response is a bit dismissive. When you are involved in setting up a machine sometimes you are engrossed in what you are doing and you look at something but don't see it.

It would be trivial bit of software to assign a Setting or Parameter to turn the Jog Lock button off. After all the Tool Release button can be disabled and is on most machines. Also the .1 Handle Jog speed can be disabled.

Alternatively Jog Lock could be programmed to require two pushes to prevent accidental activation.

And when I think about on older machines when Jog Lock was active on one axis and a different axis button was pushed it would transfer to that axis. On newer machines pushing a different axis button cancels Jog Lock. Obviously the earlier condition was recognised as the glitch that it was and was corrected.

I apologize if my response came off as hostile(my words) or dismissive.

I guess I just look at it as a learning experience when making these mistakes. It reminds all of us (me included) to slow down sometimes and be a little more deliberate in our movements and what we are commanding these machines to do. That is why I labeled it a non issue.

I do not disagree with the opinion about having a setting lock out for the jog lock button. I personally think it's a good idea, however, Haas aparently has not had a significant amount of negative feedback about this feature to warrant a software change.

Happy machining all!

Chris,
    There are no parameters or settings to disable that button.
    regards,

I have submitted this for consideration as a software enhancement.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    I have submitted this for consideration as a software enhancement.
    Where is the gold star smiley?

Gold star for Ken Foulks!

I think this is an issue, maybe not for the lucky ones out there that have their own shops and machines. But for the shops such as the one I work in, I do not own this machine, there are several users, some of which are just learning the machine and have never done CNC work before. So as for it being a part of the learning experience when making these mistakes... Yes, it is, I agree. But as the one who is responsible for the machine and its safe use, I do not have the luxury to allow every user to make that mistake. There are so many other ways to make mistakes when operating a CNC that can not be so easily avoided with a simple guard or setting to lockout the button the way this could easily be programmed to. I think it would be good to be able to lock it out. I hope HAAS will consider it.

OK, so this is what I came up with. As this is not my CNC, I did not want to do anything permanent. I took some quick measurements, and laid out a guard that bolts on using the existing screws.

That is an elegant solution.

Page 1 of 3 123