586,133 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Looking for a stable version.

Looking for a stable version.

I've spent this week learning SprutCAM, as a first step in getting my Tormach working to produce parts.

I'm getting it figured it out, and am starting to be pretty impressed by the capabilities of this software. Coming from MasterCAM, Sprut is actually more powerful, for a lot less money.

The one thing that I don't like so far is the frequency of crashes. In the last three days, I have seen about eight crashes of various types, one of which corrupted the file that I had open at the time. That worries me, as I plan to be programming some very complex items.

I'm currently running Version 7, Build 1.5, Rev 45786, on Windows XP.

Is there a recent version that is considered to be stable? I'd like to try it out and see if I experiences less crashes.

Sincerely,
    Frederic

I have been running Version 7, Build 1.5, Rev 45786 for a couple of weeks and have had no crashes. My OS is Windows 7 Premium 64.
    Have you tried any of the previous versions you can find here? Index of ./download/sprutcam/version-7/releaseandupdate/

Having various types of crashes can be difficult to trouble shoot, can you describe some of the crashes and any error messages or dialog box's that appear?

Hopefully some folks can post more in info on specific versions that are known to be more stable.

Frankly I have not had any crashes on any versions I have used since whatever the version was on the disk Tormach sent me this last early spring, sorry can't recall what that version was but it ran fine. I only had to update once for a version that had a bug but it never crashed or unexpectedly went to desktop. Live from SprutCam Russia had responded to that particular bug a while back here on the forum and had let us know that a newer version was available to down load that fixed the bug.

Sorry I can't help you more and I hope you get it figured out.
    Gerry

I've been running build 45786 for a few weeks now and haven't had any crashes either. But, I have noticed that if I try to save a project while in the simulator mode, the software looses the workpiece and the part and I have to re-start the software. It doesn't corrupt the project though. - Terry

The only one with a memorable error message was an access violation in the windows kernel. I'll try to screenshot it if it comes up again.

The other freezes and whatnot are things that I am willing to chalk up to "New User Did Something Stupid With Complex Software."

Thanks for the replies. The link to the archive of old versions should be helpful too!

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    The link to the archive of old versions should be helpful too!

Frederic
    A word of caution here.... I have been able to take files created with older versions and move to a newer version, but not the reverse.

Robert

I am not sure you will find a stable release.
    Each new Release (not the overnight builds on the Russia site), while rectifying some bugs of the previous release, seems to bring a new suite of bugs. It all depends on the functions/operations that you use. If I get some problems with the operations I tend to favour/use then I download one from Tormach on the assumption that Tormach does do some testing before releasing.

But the rate at which SprutCAM Russia releases new versions, it is understandable that Tormach doesn't test each one.

So it is a case of look for one that doesn't fail too much for you and stick with it for a while until you discover new bugs, then try another one.
    Good luck