586,477 active members*
2,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: NC want open

NC want open

I cant open NC software.....I get this error "Cant open empty file" Is there something in settings that I need to change? Thanks!

Going to need more info..

Is this NCLink you are trying to open a file in??

Is it the OneCNC cam software?? What version??

Is it the NC Manager in the software?? If so do you actually have a tool path??

A file would always help to investigate what you are seeing..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes I was trying to open file with NCLink....Tool path was made with different software, not OneCNC. Simply want open the file......don't know why:tired:

OK fair enough.

You just need to navigate to the folder the file is in. And click on it..But it would need to be a file type that NC Link could open..a Text type file..

Sounds like the file is empty from what you wrote..are you sure the other program actually output a file??

You could post the file here and someone could have a look..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Still its not working.....I can open that file in notepad no time......Even if I try to just open the NClink with out any file I get same old error....(flame2)

You could post the file here and someone could have a look..

I was unable to get NCLink to run in Windows 7 x64. On several PCs I chose the 64 bit OS so I could run 8 GB of RAM, but it's tough to buy any new PCs with x86 (32 bit) OS anymore even if you want it.

To get around it I installed Windows XP mode on the shop PC. XP mode is only available for some versions of Windows 7.
    Download Windows XP Mode

NCLink runs fine in it. To transfer files using the serial port you will have to map the virtual serial port to the physical one on the host PC.
    Configure a COM port for a virtual machine

Joe

What if I have Windows Vista? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by machinescnc View Post
    What if I have Windows Vista? Thanks!
    Is your issue with Vista due to permissions or 64 bit OS?
    Right click on "computer" on the start menu, select properties. Under system type is it 32 or 64 bit?
    If 32 bit, try right clicking on the shortcut for NCLink and select "run as administrator", then let the program run when User Access Control issues a warning.
    This should give the program the priviledge it requires to create a temp file. If this works, exit the program and right click the shortcut for NCLink again, this time select properties.
    Click the advanced button then check the option to run as administrator.
    You will likely get prompted to allow the changes by UAC on the way out.
    You will also get a warning from UAC every time you run it, which BTW you must allow.

For x64 vista, I'd try the same thing first and if it does not work, you may be able to do this if you have a Windows XP CD and key from an older PC

Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista - How-To Geek

Joe