So I'm building a cd/dvd storage unit, well really its a giant cd/dvd changer unit, relevant to this forum as its using step/direction/etc all borrowed from cnc goodies. The frame is 6'x6' and my initial thoughts on supporting the disks was to use two runs of wires, one off the back and one from the front of the frame. This would seperate the two wires by about 1.5".

The problem I'm having is trying to select a decent wire/cable/etc for "stringing" the thing. As pair will support approximately 10 cds in the span, the loading is relatively low. But the cables will either have to be tensioned so the droop is limited and consistent across all rows, or the material will have to be strong enough not to flex considerably under the load.

I'm hoping to store 4 cds per inch, so the thickness of whatever material i choose will need to be around .1" and the span will ofcourse be ~6'.

Any suggestions? I was thinking piano wire maybe, but i've never worked with it so I dont know. I understand its a spring-temper, which may not be what I want. Maybe just good old fishing line?