586,437 active members*
3,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis- planetary vs harmonic?

I`m interested in adding rotary 4th axis to DIY-CNC Router Table Machine.

Some people use planetary gearhead for that purpose, others claim harmonic drive is better because it`s zero backlash. Has anyone here had any experience with harmonic drives?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walter
    I`m interested in adding rotary 4th axis to DIY-CNC Router Table Machine.

Some people use planetary gearhead for that purpose, others claim harmonic drive is better because it`s zero backlash. Has anyone here had any experience with harmonic drives?

Thanks
    Walter,

Hi! There are a few discussions about this going on right now-look at some of the 5-axis threads. Personally I plan to use the harmonic drives-for exactly the reason you meantion. I suppose it really depends on what you are planning on making (required tolerances, etc.) on the one hand and cost on the other. At any rate, take a peek at the other threads-it may help. Good luck!

Lance

Thanks Evodyne, good info.

I read about harmonic drive accuracy and low backlash. I`m a bit concerned about longevity... Some estimastes say 3000 hrs vs 30000 hrs with planetary gear based systems. Seems like a big difference, harmonic drives are not cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by walter
    Thanks Evodyne, good info.

I read about harmonic drive accuracy and low backlash. I`m a bit concerned about longevity... Some estimastes say 3000 hrs vs 30000 hrs with planetary gear based systems. Seems like a big diffefence, harmonic drives are not cheap..
    You may want to look at Harmonic Drive Technology's site for more info on expected life.

Lance

Yeah... They mention the 3000 hrs number too. And say that actual life would be 5 times longer. Not bad.

By the way, Evodyne. Do you have any good harmonic drive source?

Thanks