586,655 active members*
2,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How to Set XY 0 (origin) in Mastercam X

Question How to Set XY 0 (origin) in Mastercam X

Hi guys,

I just started learning mastercam and it is quite a change from geopath :-(.

I have been breaking my head over setting the right views and changing the XYZ Origin.

I got a step file but the X0 is in the middle - how to I change XY origin in Mastercam X (2) ?

I tried the wcs / view maganer and different options within but I must be missing something.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Adis Pilavdzic
    www.MachiningPartner.com

You could just move your geometry to the origin that you want. (x form,translate,select point 1, usually part 0, then select point 2, origin.)
    WANNA GO FASTER

Quote Originally Posted by MachiningPartne View Post
    Hi guys,

I just started learning mastercam and it is quite a change from geopath :-(.

I have been breaking my head over setting the right views and changing the XYZ Origin.

I got a step file but the X0 is in the middle - how to I change XY origin in Mastercam X (2) ?

I tried the wcs / view maganer and different options within but I must be missing something.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
    as metlshpr said, simply transform the geometry to where you want it to be. On the menu bar at the top, select "Xform", followed by "translate", and select all your geometry you need to move and move it where you need it

Thank You

Thank you guys, that work great.
    select all / transform / translate / xy amount / move.

Thank you very much.
    Adis Pilavdzic
    www.MachiningPartner.com

I try to never change the part origin in relation to the original drawing origin in case discrepancies arise in the future. The simplest way to change the origin that will be used for machining is to use WCS - View Manager. You were in the right place, just did not know what to do. Find "Origin (in view coordinates)" - click on the cursor arrow button - this collapses dialog box and allows you to choose the origin point you wish to use on your part - highlight and click on the point you wish to use - end the command. You can also change the active/machining view in the View Manager. Highlight the view you wish to use - click the "=" button - end the command. Once you do this, it effects the Gview commands in relation to your new choice. You can use "F9" key to toggle origin highlighting on and off.

Thank You

Thank You, I knew there was even easier way. All you guys have helped tremendously. I try to leave the Origin as in step files but sometimes its not possible. I have seen some of the weirdest Origin location including virtual intersection way off the actual part. Anyways, now up to a multiple fixtures challenge :-). We have few hundred parts to make and I am not sure how to do it in MCX, I'll look into Xform translate , but it seems to produce static distance instead Fixture related / E1 / E2 etc(Fadal) G54/G55.

Anyways thank you all very much. !

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I try to never change the part origin in relation to the original drawing origin in case discrepancies arise in the future. The simplest way to change the origin that will be used for machining is to use WCS - View Manager. You were in the right place, just did not know what to do. Find "Origin (in view coordinates)" - click on the cursor arrow button - this collapses dialog box and allows you to choose the origin point you wish to use on your part - highlight and click on the point you wish to use - end the command. You can also change the active/machining view in the View Manager. Highlight the view you wish to use - click the "=" button - end the command. Once you do this, it effects the Gview commands in relation to your new choice. You can use "F9" key to toggle origin highlighting on and off.
    Adis Pilavdzic
    www.MachiningPartner.com

This happens a lot, especially in the aircraft industry. Most aircraft are designed in their entirety as an assembly. Then an engineer will "break out" a single item for production and not change the origin, from say, the nose of the aircraft, while the component is found at the landing gear or a wingtip.

For multiple work zeros (G54, etc.), also use WCS Manager and highlight and right click and copy the view/plane needed, then rename to work zero desired (G54, etc.) and change work offset number (from -1 to 0 for G54, 1 for G55, etc.). Then use method described before to locate work zero on part as needed. Be sure to set WCS to one you want before creating tool paths. Otherwise, you have to go back and change them later. I usually copy my view/plane in WCS Manager anyway, so that I can force the work zero number I want. As when having 4 vises set on the table and wanting to use vise #4 with G57 (offset 3).