586,384 active members*
3,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Old Japanese Thread Standards

Old Japanese Thread Standards

I have been trying to duplicate some threads on mid 1950's vintage Japanese model engines and find that the threads do not fit into current Japanese thread standards. In particular one size is almost exactly a 5-40 thread while another is just a few thousands larger in major diameter than a 12-32 thread. For shallow holes the 5-40 and 12-32 taps work but for deeply taped holes binding occurs. I was hopeful that someone knows where one can obtain info and preferably suitable taps. The threads are definitely not metric or an early British standard.

Thanks

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobeymard View Post
    I have been trying to duplicate some threads on mid 1950's vintage Japanese model engines and find that the threads do not fit into current Japanese thread standards. In particular one size is almost exactly a 5-40 thread while another is just a few thousands larger in major diameter than a 12-32 thread. For shallow holes the 5-40 and 12-32 taps work but for deeply taped holes binding occurs. I was hopeful that someone knows where one can obtain info and preferably suitable taps. The threads are definitely not metric or an early British standard.

Thanks

Bob
    Sorry I cant help. I wonder if an email to a large tap manufacture would help shed some light.

Don't know, Bob. I am sure you have done some basic research, but if not, look at these links below. The second link welcomes enquiries:

J.I.S. Information and Online Shopping

http://www.nutsandbolts.com/contact_us.html

http://mdmetric.com/tech/threadtech.pdf

http://www.google.com/search?q=JIS+t...rlz=1I7_____en

this may help. I scanned the first pages of the metric and standard threads from the machinery handbook.

I can email you the scans if you would like. probably be easier to read that way.. PM me with your email if you want them.