587,030 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X axis cable fault

Hi folks!

So I got an alarm and machine stopped. It says X axis cable fault. Before I start pulling the machine apart to look at the actual cable I thought I'd ask here to see if that is literally what is broken. My machine seems to be poorly sealed as a lot of coolant drips out the back when it is running and I thought perhaps that was dripping onto something and causing the fault.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Servo motor connectors, especially the MS kind are prone to collect coolant and cause problems, this maybe a first place to check, if you unscrew the MS backshell you can usually tell right away, if this is what yours has.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It can be a few different things, but since you indicated that you have a lot of coolant draining from the rear of the machine, it very well could be the cable.

First place I would look would be under the front Y-Axis cover. This is the only place where the x-axis cable flexes during table movement. Prolonged exposure to coolants will make the cable insulation become brittle and crack. Which leads to the inner wires becoming brittle and cracking.

Inspect this area and if the cable is damaged in any way, it should be replaced and not repaired.

Good luck!

Fixed! Put in a new cable (228 pretty reasonable!) and it works fine now. The hole to feed the cables through into the motor area is a real ***** to reach though. God knows why HAAS dosn't just make it bigger and closer to the left side of the machine so you can reach it.

If more engineers had to do field repairs, things might be a little different.

Wishfull thinking however.

Glad you got things fixed up.