586,129 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hobby mill with cnc conversion

So im looking at getting into hobby milling and converting it into cnc. I know absolutely nothing about these machines and need help to pick out something that would be well suited for me as a beginner. I know of the mills sold by harbor freight and as far as i know this is going to be m best/cheapest option. Not sure if the smaller one that they sell for $599 will be big enough or should i step up to the $1100 model. If you know of any other companies that may be cheaper/better please let me know. Any help and insight on my decision making process would help a ton as like i said i am new to this and am learning as i go. Thanks!

so after doing some research i found the larger harbor freight option is wayyy bigger than i thought and it seems the smaller #44991 would be perfect. as far as motor mounts with screws i think i will be going with the cnc fusion x,y,z kit. i am not too sure where i can get the stepper motors from though. i mean i am sure i can find them but i am not sure what size/brand/type i need and where might be the most cost effective place to get them. any help would be great as like i said i am very new to this stuff and am kinda just diving in here...thanks so much for the help and suggestions.

The smallest (and probably cheapest) thing you can get is Chinese "Xendoll" W-series. There is even CNC model available. But it is more like a toy.

It is good for occasional hobby work like milling acrylic since it's "all-in-one" (lathe, mill, drill press, jigsaw etc., like Lego). It is clone of metal CoolTool's Unimat-1. But it is very weak and cannot do heavy-duty work at all.

well i am certainly not looking for a toy. i have already decided on the harbor freight mini mill as a starting point. i think the last thing i need since i already decided on the cnc fusion xyz ball screw and mount set i need to find motors now.

Motors are easy, they are pretty standard. You have to choose the right motor size then find the most powerful motor of that size you can buy. CNC conversion is easy as long as you have a working machine already, since you can use this machine to make motor holders etc. (by hand of course).

It is harder to find a good motor driver. Everything is filled with that cheap Chinese crap (it has erratic design and won't work without modifications). Either build a board yourself (from scratch or based on a Chinese board) or try to find high-quality (non-China) one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gall View Post
    Motors are easy, they are pretty standard. You have to choose the right motor size then find the most powerful motor of that size you can buy. CNC conversion is easy as long as you have a working machine already, since you can use this machine to make motor holders etc. (by hand of course).

It is harder to find a good motor driver. Everything is filled with that cheap Chinese crap (it has erratic design and won't work without modifications). Either build a board yourself (from scratch or based on a Chinese board) or try to find high-quality (non-China) one.
    ok thanks. Making my own mounts will be a great first project when i get the machine but i guess my next question is what size motors will i need. this is the machine i plan on buying
    Mini Mill - 2 Speed Mini Milling Machine

if possible i would like to set this up to be able to cut steel. I know i wont need it right away but as i get better at it i can see myself needing the capability. Is this even possible with this machine. and what size motors would i need to fit the bill for steel? thanks