586,655 active members*
2,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

770 and the 4th Axis

Do any of you guys use your 770 with the forth axis accessory sold by Tormach?

I'm finally getting ready to order my new Mill and I was hoping to have this option available to me.

The one that Tormach has listed is the 6" model. I'm wondering if it will work on the 770; or if its to big?

Are there any work-arounds in order to have a 4th Axis available? Some of the projects I plan to tackle would be helped along if I did have a 4th Axis on this smaller sized CNC mill.

Thanks in advance.

MetalShavings

Section 9.4.4 of the PCNC 770 manual says the system come preconfigured for a low cost 4th axis addition (same deal as the PCNC 1100). So my guess is you buy the 4 axis kit and it has everything you need to install a 4 th axis.

Phil

Greetings philbur:

Thanks for the quick response.

I was kind of hoping for a possible solution. It seems to me that the 4th Axis kit sold by tormach is a bit to big for the small work table on the 770.

I was looking at the small 4th axis kit sold by the Little machine shop but, I have no clue if I can get it to work.

I don't suppose you know of anyone who's successfully rigged up a fourth axis on their 770 that I can copy-cat from?

I can buy a manual 4 axis kit but, the reason I'm getting into CNC in the first place was to speed up my work flow. I figured that such a setup would do just that for the specialized reamers I plan to make.

I'm hoping that you or one of the other tormach users can point me in the right direction.

I'll be talking to a tormach rep. on Monday. I'm sure they can answer this question to some degree but, I found that information from everyday hands-on users can be a great help as well.

MetalShavings

OPPS!

Accidental Double Post. My Bad.

MetalShavings

I have an 8" on my PCNC1100. I am confident that the 6" table from Tormach is the correct size for the PCNC 770. You always want to buy the absolute largest for your machine size, to the uninitiated it can look to big.

Phil

Right now the word "Uninitiated" fits me to a tee.

I hope it will work. It would certainly make it less complicated to set up; and still be covered by any Tomach warranty and tech-support that may apply.

I'll check into it when I talk to the Tormach rep. on Monday.

If it does work out for me I'll have to remove a couple of items from my shopping cart but, that's OK; I initially had the 4th Axis factored into my budget before I started worrying that it may not work for the 770.

I took the 4th Axis kit off of my list of accessories and added the threading tools and a few other items to replace it. I'll just switch back to my original choices if possible.

Thanks again Sir.

MetalShavings

I bought the 4th axis for my 770, it fits fine and works well, however I have only used it manually not programmed yet. Have been using my lathe for the most part. The 6" fits well, it really depends on how big of part you need to machine.

That's good news to me.

Most of the parts I plan on tackling are well within the work envelop of this machine; even with this 4th Axis unit in place the size of my parts shouldn't be a problem.

I was just trying to get away from manually having to index cylindrical parts.

Thanks for the reassurance. I feel like an expectant mother right now. I'm having to rearrange my shop space to accommodate this incoming mill.

That means chopping down the tree in my back yard to make room for an outdoor storage shed so I can move out a bunch of stuff to that location.

Drudgery and anticipation all at the same time. Hope it doesn't leave any stretch-marks.

MetalShavings.