586,807 active members*
8,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: SL-603 CAPS

SL-603 CAPS

Hi,
    I work with a SL-603. I wonder if someone can help me with CAPS.

I want to mill the outer contour on a cylinder. The measurements are:
    outer diam. 760mm
    inner diam. 360mm (the inner diam. is offset 40mm)

I have to clamp on the inner diam. and mill the outer contour, but i dont know how? Can someone post an exampla prog. where this is done?

which version CAPS is it? CAPS is quite complex. there are a lot of steps to do even something simple. But you should be able to teach yourself if you have some machining experience. I have several manuals in PDF format..... so which version?

Cant find any version on the screen in caps.
    But on the panel i says MSX-500III
    Useful? Where should I look?

are you sure it's CAPS and not MAPPS? the later MSX controls should have MAPPS which is totally different to CAPS.

It says "caps" on the button
    And it seems to be exactly like this one:
    Angebot MORI SEIKI SL - 603 BMC / 1000 Gebrauchtmaschinen. Gebrauchtanlagen. Fertigung.

ah yes. that's a nice looking machine.
    But it's got MAPPS not CAPS. The button may say CAPS but you can tell a MAPPS machine simply by the newer panel with the colored buttons (among other things).
    So you need info on MAPPS. If you go into SYSTEM there should be a section where it tells you the revisions of the software, firmware and other things like ladder version, controller boards that are installed etc.
    It's probably MAPPS III.
    Most CNC Programmers are self taught. You really need to get yourself a MAPPS programming manual. They are usually 600+ pages and go into detail on almost all functions. If you have never used any conversational system you'll never figure it out without the manual. If you know FAPT or CAPS you should be able to apply most of the knowledge to MAPPS.
    I have a CAPS II Mill manual here in pdf. If you want it PM me and we'll talk :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    ah yes. that's a nice looking machine.
    But it's got MAPPS not CAPS. The button may say CAPS but you can tell a MAPPS machine simply by the newer panel with the colored buttons (among other things).
    So you need info on MAPPS. If you go into SYSTEM there should be a section where it tells you the revisions of the software, firmware and other things like ladder version, controller boards that are installed etc.
    It's probably MAPPS III.
    Most CNC Programmers are self taught. You really need to get yourself a MAPPS programming manual. They are usually 600+ pages and go into detail on almost all functions. If you have never used any conversational system you'll never figure it out without the manual. If you know FAPT or CAPS you should be able to apply most of the knowledge to MAPPS.
    I have a CAPS II Mill manual here in pdf. If you want it PM me and we'll talk :-)
    Err,sota of. Maps is the control panel, Caps is in maps. Even has it's own little button. Conversational assisted programing system. Yes its a maps 3. Maps 1 was a touch screen, POS. Maps 2 looked similar, but without USB. Maps 3 is this one, Maps 4 is a light ivory color and is very nice I might add.

MAPPS is the panel? err, ok
    I worked on a SL35 with Fanuc 16T and that had CAPS button but it looked like an updated version of FAPT. When the machine booted it came up with a picture of a deer (Bambi?) on the title screen. Maybe that was CAPS I? I seem to recall the button to access it was labelled 'Cap i'

So I guess then what version is your CAPS? Press the CAPS button and take a pic of the first screen you see and post it here. I checked my machine and the CAPS edition is shown in SYSTEM/SYSTEM COMPOSITION.
    See pic attached. My control is MSG-500 so your system menu may be different but the info will be in SYSTEM somewhere.

Also if you give me more info on exactly what you want to machine (with sizes etc) I can walk you through programming it in MAPPS, err I mean CAPS ;-)

btw, my MAPPS machine (Mori SL-253) is MAPPS 1 but not touch screen. The machine is very nice actually. It's a mini version of that SL-603
    Unfortunately it's OS/2-based so it crashes occasionally to a black screen. At least the machine keeps going until the end of the cycle then it requires a reboot to get the screen back up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00046.jpg