586,470 active members*
3,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Lubrication

Lubrication

Hi All,

what is everyone using for lubrication?

Do you use something different on the ball screws as opposed to the ways for example.

Has anyone heard of Du-Ponts Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant, which sets up dry?

Thanks for all responses,
    Phil

THe things i lubricate most regularly:
    Ways - Motor oil works very well, it seems to stick to the metal and lasts.
    Leadscrew- I use a mixture of white lithium and motor oil, not too much grease or else it just makes a pile

Phil,
    I use way oil on the ways and spindle oil on the ball screws. Both are available in 1 gallon containers from McMasterr Carr. I stick with the Mobil brand name ones even though the "no-name" ones probably come from the same refinery. I do not care for the teflon multi-use lube.

Ken
    KDN Tool

I strongly discourage the use of motor oil for the ways. It sticks and it works, yes but if you are doing fine moves you can feel a difference when using way lube. Use way lube - there is a difference. Mobile Vactra #2.

On the ballscrew - a light lithium grease works well. The only time I would recommend an oil is if it is oiled regularly and tied into an automatic lubricator. If it is lubricated occasionally through a fitting, then use a light bodied lithium based grease.

If it is a high precision or small diameter ballscrew, NSK Precision America recommends an ISO Grade 32 through Grade 100 (approx. SAE15 through SAE30) for oil lubrication or a lithium based grease with a viscosity of 30-140 cst at 40C (very thin bodied grease).

I would stay away from using a grease with Teflon or other additives for a precision, recirculating ball nut.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Phil

Any Idea where one can locate Mobile Vactra #2 in Toronto, Canada?
    thanks