586,329 active members*
5,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Long Motors Nema 34HST9805-37

I searched and found some helpful info on these motors including specs below, but still not sure which wiring diagram I should be following. I think the last is bipolar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34HST9805-37B2 STEPPER.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	140110

I have two 48V/4.2 amp Power packs. One for Y,Z axis and 1 for the X axis's.

The last diagram shows the motors amp at 2.8, will one of these power packs be enough to run 2 of these motors?

Here is a link to the drives I will be using

Stepper Motor/Stepper Gearmotor/Stepper Motor Driver wholesaler and supplier

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Both the second diagram and the third diagram show bipolar wiring.

The second diagram shows "bipolar series" wiring, while the third diagram shows "bipolar parallel" wiring.

Wiring the coils for bipolar series will require less current than wiring for bipolar parallel, however for optimal performance (speed) you would most likely need to use a much higher voltage for the bipolar serial connection. So I don't think that you will want to wire them in the series configuration.

Judging by the high winding inductance specification, even when wired in the bipolar parallel configuration your 48 volt power supply puts out substantially less voltage than would be required to move at an optimal speed. You may want to consider using a higher voltage (and it looks like your drives will handle a higher voltage), but some people do get by with driving such motors with only 48 volts.

As for the power supply current, the 2.8 amp rating is per phase (across 2 phases), not per motor. So I suspect that you may not have sufficient current-handling capacity in that power supply to drive two motors from one supply.

Thanks allot for your help doorknob. Could you suggest what size volt/amp power pack I should purchase to run all for of these motors?

Should I be looking for a power pack with more than 96V?

Thanks again for your help,
    Dan

I am having trouble accessing the driver info page right now, but I expect that a 96 volt power supply would be more closely matched to the characteristics of the motor than the 48 volt supply (and if I recall correctly, that driver will handle a 96 volt power supply properly).

Thanks for your reply doorknob.

I searched Longs Motors and came across a thread with you helping another with the same bob, motors and drivers packed with info. Thanks for all your help!

Dan

Below is the setting choices on my driver, is 400=1/4, 800=1/8, 1600=1/16 ?

DM860A Motor Driver.pdf

Thanks
    Dan

Without any more information than that to go on, my interpretation would be the following:

- typical stepper motors such as yours have a full-step resolution of 200 steps per revolution

- therefore 400 pulses per revolution would be half-stepping

- 800 pulses per revolution would be 1/4 stepping, etc.

If any body can help me please calibration of nema 34 longs motor