586,379 active members*
2,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digital Camera Inputs

Now that my new DT is running fit, I have a special need and was wondering if there are any thoughts on this matter? Many of the parts I make require micro drills and micro end mills. My difficulty is when it comes to setting the tool lengths. I prefer to set my tools in the machine because of the delicate nature of the parts. But with tools and parts so small, their hard to see without a good deal of light and a micro scope.

My request to Haas: With the improvement of monitors that come with new Haas machines, it would be nice if I had the ability to plug my digital microscope camera into the control and be able to see the tool up close on the machines monitor when I'm setting tools against the work piece. It would be awesome if I could go to the "tool settings" page in "handle mode" while being able to view the approaching tool to the work piece on screen. Am I making any sense? I can see this also having other applications such as “in process inspection” as well.

Maybe something like this already exist and I just need to know who to talk to. Either way, thanks in advance for your input. :cheers:

Okuma can do that. Haas, probably never.(nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Okuma can do that. Haas, probably never.(nuts)
    DOH! (chair)

....Ok, I'll take a look at Okuma. :tired:

Haas currently has no plans for anything like this, but it is an interesting idea. We will add this idea to the list of control improvement features.

Some alternatives would be a laser probe, an off-line presetter, or if the tools are rigid enough, a touch probe.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Reminds me of the Mach3 CNC control software. It can use a cheap web cam mounted on a tool holder to position work under the spindle.
    Mach3 has a screen display that superimposes crosshairs over the bird's eye view from the camera. The operator moves the table using the MPG until the part feature (center, corner, etc.) is in the crosshairs.
    I've read that it's accurate within a couple of thousandths - not bad for a $20 camera.