586,449 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Stock

Stock

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around 'Stock' and when and how to make it, add it, etc.

I've attached two programs. The second, Program_2, is my attemp to copy Program_1.

I created (I think) some custom stock by using Profiler to "outline" the part, extracting geometry, offsetting the outline by .150", extruding the part stock along the Z axis, and placing it in its own work group. I think thats pretty much how the program I'm trying to copy did it.

Then I tried face milling my stock, and the tool path looks like this:

The program I'm trying to copy looks like this:

I saved the face milling process from Program_1 and simply loaded it into Program_2, so all the process parameters should be identical.

Why is my tool path different? Have I actually created 'stock', or modofied the part in some way? What exactly have I accomplished??? And why doesn't it look right???

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Greetins eliot15:

I've never personally used GibbsCam yet but, for the past few months I've been studying up on it in order to prepare for an upcoming class.

One of the other guys here posted this link that I've found very helpful. It's a series of tutorials.

A couple of these tutorial deals specifically with the subject of "Stock."

If you haven't already viewed these tutorials, it may be worth you while.

Downloads

MetalShavings

When I did a redo of the facemill op in Program_1, the toolpath is the same as the facemill op in Program_2.

You probably changed the attributes of the geometry in Workgroup "Stock" to stock after creating the facemill op. If you want the back and forth toolpath then change the attributes back to part geometry and redo the operation. The toolpath will be defined by the minimum and maximum extents in the Documents box.

Thanks cadman,

Thats encouraging. It means that the settings I opted for in Program_2 actually did produce the correct behavior.

So is this right...If I don't create part stock, GibbsCAM uses the work envelope defined in the Document Control (x, y, z extents) as "default stock".
    If I create a seperate workgroup and define my part stock in that workgroup, this new stock overrides the default work envelope stock.

Then GibbsCAM alters its tool path to map more closely to the custom stock?

Is it necesary to define the custom part stock in a seperate work group? Are there other ways of defining stock I should be aware of? How do solids factor into the custom stock equation??? Can you just turn, say, a solid of a casting into stock??

A lot of questions, I know. Just trying to accelerate the learning curve a bit.

Hey MetalShavings! Great tutorial site. I checked out the one on stock, and they took the same route I did...extruding geometry in Z. I'll be watching a bunch of those. Short and sweet. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eliot15 View Post
    Thanks cadman,

Thats encouraging. It means that the settings I opted for in Program_2 actually did produce the correct behavior.

So is this right...If I don't create part stock, GibbsCAM uses the work envelope defined in the Document Control (x, y, z extents) as "default stock".
    If I create a seperate workgroup and define my part stock in that workgroup, this new stock overrides the default work envelope stock.

Then GibbsCAM alters its tool path to map more closely to the custom stock?
    Yes

Is it necesary to define the custom part stock in a seperate work group? Are there other ways of defining stock I should be aware of? How do solids factor into the custom stock equation??? Can you just turn, say, a solid of a casting into stock??

You can define any workgroup as stock, but the geometry in it must be a valid shape, so I would only use that workgroup for defining stock and nothing else. You can only define one workgroup as stock.

If your stock is a simple block or cylinder, defining it with geometry is the simplest way to go, and it keeps the file size to a minimum.

If the stock is more complex and or has multiple operations, using solids is the way to go. More accurate toolpaths and toolpath simulation.

Right click on the solid you want to use as stock and there are two choices, Stock and Display Only.

Thanks much. Think I got the stock thing figured out this week.