586,655 active members*
3,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 114 of 184 1464104112113114115116124164
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

This is the set I bought, way, way, way back when the Aussie dollar was good:

SET OF 4 Heavy Level Casters With 2 1 2" Nylon Wheel Retractable LEG TOP Plat | eBay

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

These will be under the milling machine I am workign on, small Grizzly like machine, converting to CNC with enclosure and everything.
    Support Footmaster Caster Wheels GD 40F for Equipment Machine-in Casters from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

These I have under my 800KG Lathe. Easy to move it around the workshop now
    Footmaster Caster Wheels GD 80F GD 80F for Equipment or Machine Heavy Furniture Wheels-in Casters from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I managed to get my SVM 2 up and running today, still only cutting air, but I'm very happy with it. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUcnYthIwi0 My son gets credit for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno402002 View Post
    I managed to get my SVM 2 up and running today, still only cutting air, but I'm very happy with it. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUcnYthIwi0 My son gets credit for the video.
    Great ! Love your lil intro match perfectly with the music , hard to wait to get my hand on my svm0 with hope for mid october received !

sorry guys, I will get some pics and video up soon as well, Ive took the 4th axis off at the moment, but will get it back on for a vid

johnno402002 - Did you ask for the side window? I dont have that on mine. Also, what is the quality of the finish like on your enclosure?

I managed to get my SVM 2 up and running today, still only cutting air, but I'm very happy with it.

Can you tell us the specs of your machine? What kind of spindle is that?

And please show us a picture of that plasma cutter, or is there anywhere on the zone a build thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rustyh View Post
    johnno402002 - Did you ask for the side window? I dont have that on mine. Also, what is the quality of the finish like on your enclosure?
    Hi Rusty, yes, I ordered the full enclosure, it was $500 USD. The finish is ok, it's not like a new car but generally glossy and neat, a little bit 3D in a couple of spots where they have over spayed an earlier panel, but it looks good. .Compared to the finish on the lathe I have, the mill is rolls royce..

Quote Originally Posted by skillalot View Post
    Can you tell us the specs of your machine? What kind of spindle is that?

And please show us a picture of that plasma cutter, or is there anywhere on the zone a build thread?
    The spindle is R8, with a 12mm 1.75 mm pitch draw bolt. The cap on top screws off by hand, and it was supplied with a spanner that goes down in the hole to hold the spindle while you mess with the draw bolt with an allen key. It nice for a manual change spindle, the cap keeps all the crap from going down in there.

The plasma cutter, its really just a smart painters plank..... I bought it from Schuler CNC machine tools in Maanshan, China. It has a 100 amp plasma machine and uses the cnc controller, drivers and thc from Beijing Flourishing Start Digital Technology Co.,or Start Shapon microstep. It works well but it's just a bit scary. First cut with it I had it set up on the floor, cutting 4mm (3/16) sheet steel about 50mm (2 inches) off the floor. I thought it might mark the floor so I put a sheet of 1mm (20 gauge) steel below the cut to protect the floor. It went straight through both of them and into the concrete floor, made a hell of a mess. As usual, I'm the weak link with it, still have a way to go to master it. I've got a video of it cutting somewhere, I'll post it in another thread. It cost just over $4000 US plus all the shipping and taxes, owes me about $5500 AUD

The finish is ok, it's not like a new car but generally glossy and neat,
    I had to repair the power feed drive mech on the saddle on my Chinese lathe a few days ago. The worm gear on the shaft was jumping the teeth on the wheel. Loss of power feed. Smooth surface on manual wheel with greasy hands ... not good.

OK, just move the worm carrier closer to the wheel. Yes, there is enough clearance in the M6 holes for that (7.2 mm actually!). But I could not move the bolts or the carrier sideways. Um - why not? The head of the M6 caphead bolt is recessed, and the recess should have had the necessary clearance. It didn't. Odd.

Much poking around and thinking. Plans for all sorts of major engineering exercises ... but perhaps a bit of an overkill?

Eventually I took to the inside of the recesses with the point of a hardened scraper. Let's make the recess bigger I thought. Yes, crude, I know. But it should be the simplest solution this time.

Guess what? The recess in the cast iron was actually somewhat larger than it looked, but it had 'shrunk' due to the generous amount of woppy used to smooth over the casting. (Woppy, bog, car body filler, whatever. Thick gungy stuff.) There was at least an extra millimeter of clearance to be had once I gouged out all that stuff! So I cleaned the bolt hole and the recess for the bolt head out carefully with drill bits, hand held with a tap wrench. Did you know you can drill out cast iron with a hand-held drill bit, if you go in 0.1 mm steps?

Problem solved. The answer is clearly LOTS of woppy or heavy primer, to cover all casting blemishes. (Um, yes, the rest of the lathe is like that too: very smooth on the surface of the paint.)

Cheers
    Roger

Attachment 292540Attachment 292538 Couple of pictures of it in the factory just before it left, sitting on it's bigger brother.

Are the steppers direct coupled ?

Could you make a test re:accuracy for us ?
    Please machine a cube, 20.000 mm in size, in 316L, 304 or 303.

I am very, very interested in the actual accuracy of the cube, as measured with a micrometer.
    A cube will tell you, and us all, what the difference is between x and y, and how close it is to the nominal size.

Stainless is good, because it makes a nice converstion piece, lasts forever, and wont rust over time.

If you make one, I will do so as well, on my machines.

Test 2:
    Interpolated cut a round bar in 316L from a piece of square.
    This is the acid test.
    From size in x/y and TIR measurement, you can directly prove the actual accuracy.

PS.
    Congrats.

The fit and finish look excellent.
    Cable management is very good.
    Enclosure is very good.
    The way covers, y, are great.

Coolant ?

Attachment 292540Attachment 292538 Couple of pictures of it in the factory just before it left, sitting on it's bigger brother.
    Ah that one, seen that a lot on internet.
    Thought you made some plasma cnc yourself. Since the company I work for makes cnc plasma/oxyfuel/waterjet machines, I'm always curious what other people build

Yes, thin sheet 50mm under a other sheet where you cut with 100 amps will be destroyed easilly. You should make a water pan under it. If you have the water level just below or against the bottom of the plate you have less noise, almost no smoke and dust, and less warping of the plates you cut. 50mm water would be enough.

Hi, as the thread is about the SVM-0 build and now the supply.......it pleases me to say that Defeng has emailed me with the news that my SVM-0 mill is now on the ship and ready to sail.
    Ian.

Oops forgot.....have to cater for all the "Doubting Thomases".......here's a few pics of the mill on it's launching pad as excitedly sent by Defeng........for all those DT's who said it wouldn't happen.
    Ian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ian-svm0p7.jpg   Ian-svm0p1.jpg   Ian-svm0p2.jpg   Ian-svm0p3.jpg  

Ian-svm0p4.jpg   Ian-svm0p5.jpg   Ian-svm0p6.jpg  

Ian,

This is great news for you as well as Defeng. Slowly, albeit "very" slowly, the confidence to purchase a Defeng product grows.

I would almost compare the "wait" we all endure in the Dr's office waiting for him to arrive, just tell us the queue already so I can be prepared to be up next or wait another 2 hrs.

But you have been unbelievably patient and supportive of Defeng, certainly more than I would have been. Please do a review when you receive it, unlike Louie and these other blokes who have already received theirs and won't share their new toy.

Great news Ian ! That's also a pro thing to see that Defeng test it on mach3 each machine , really clean wiring and set up the ePDB fit nice too .
    Ps : the SVM2-ATC in on dev at time a lil sneak peek on it's futur enclure : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443446795382.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	293664

Looks really nice, handle.

Hi, well the wait was nerve wracking and at times a case of holding back the tears....LOL......but sometimes you have to accept the fact that you can't change a situation, so as we did in the war....grin and bear it.

In the cold hard light of day, would I have gone down this path if the situation was more apparent?..........well I did say it's a bespoke mill and NOBODY bespokes like Defeng, so if you have the courage to bear with the man and more to the point have faith that he is genuine.....then yes the wait was worth it.

If there is a queue forming now it's going to be a long one if you don't make the decision.

Defeng said in the email that it would take about a month to get to OZ, so in the meantime it'll be junk in the garage being turfed out or relocated.

BTW, has anyone noticed from the photos that the electronics are all in the cabinet enclosure as opposed to the early photos where they are all in a casing attached to the back of the column?

I think it's neater that way........but mainly because the mill column is snug up against the back of the enclosure, so no need or room for a separate back casing.

The total all up weight for transportation to OZ is 200Kg.
    Ian.

Grats handle, I am happy to see you finally get your machine and looking forward to seeing the review. Hopefully now you will be so busy making parts your posts will be shorter

Page 114 of 184 1464104112113114115116124164