586,590 active members*
2,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 171 of 184 71121161169170171172173181
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Doesn't matter if the drawbar works or not. He is afraid to put a cutting tool in the spindle and make a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    Doesn't matter if the drawbar works or not. He is afraid to put a cutting tool in the spindle and make a cut.
    LOL that was my point from about 100 or so pages ago. He didn't want to learn Mach3, didn't want to learn even a basic CAM package, yet he has plans of making rotary indexers so he can carve out chess pieces in aluminum (or aluminium...) Methinks he just wishes something to happen, and it does, because he thinks it so. Too much time under the diamond mines, dreaming of Edison and the Wright Brothers.

But hey, if he's content removing and inserting tools (remember these were custom made ISO20 ER toolholders, which HE REQUESTED, and now is saying there are too many moving parts), and jogging the machine around and watching it interpolate a circle all day, then let him have at it. He feels he's learning something, so more power to him. A chimpanzee could accidentally do the same thing given enough time, but to quote Ian, "Whatever...."

"Whatever" is a term many women use when they have just lost an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    "Whatever" is a term many women use when they have just lost an argument.
    Followed by "Y'all don't know me..."

aluminum (or aluminium...)
    Do you know the difference...........? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    "um....."

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    "um....."

LOL

Handlewanker is trying his best, and is also trying things out.
    Good for him.

It ok to not be IT centric.
    And have set expectations.

Some of the best german machine tools, high end stuff, have or had electric drawbars.

I wish someone would make 2 test pieces with a skyfire.
    Cube and round, from any SS piece, circa 20 mm D and 20x20x20.

I am extremely interested in the actual measurement of 20.000 vs produced, and tir on round, interpolated.

I will give a free electronic 1 micron micrometer (of high quality) to someone who makes me these 2 on a skyfire.
    Pay nothing, I will post at my cost.

I wish for a video, and the gcode, and the 2 samples.
    I would greatly prefer 316LL, but 303,304,316, 404, is fine.

Any credible poster is welcome.
    You can tweak the gcode as much as you want, if you want to make them perfect.

A 1" electronic high quality micrometer is worth about 60€.
    These are stuff I import.
    They are about the quality of any high end electronic mic, from name brands, ie Mahe, Federal, Mitutoyo, whatever.
    Specs are the same, - 2 microns accuracy - and they repeat to 1 micron, more or less, fwiw.

The interest to me is twofold;
    how good are the Skyfire as-is, out of machine, and how good are they, made as best you can.
    Pieces should be from machine, no lapping, polishing, tumbling, grinding afterwards.

I have a few micrometers in stock, and can send immediately.
    I would prefer to have 2 pieces each, one as-good-as, and 1 as-came out. Its not a requirement.

If someone does do this, I will measure them with 2-3-4 different micrometers, and this will prove results/average out errors.

I am in Barcelona, Spain.
    Postage is cheap, maybe 5-10$ as a letter/smallest package.

If someone does not want, I wont give out names or details publicly, but would prefer to be free to post the technical results (not names/machine details unless you agree- totally up to maker).
    Its not a requirement.

I will give a free electronic 1 micron micrometer (of high quality) to someone who makes me these 2 on a skyfire.
    I guess that leaves me out.

Lots of variables at play here. Mach3 to begin with and operator experience.

The free high end mike is appealing. What's the brand name?

I guess that leaves me out.

Lots of variables at play here. Mach3 to begin with and operator experience.

The free high end mike is appealing. What's the brand name?

anything with stainless steel is more operator than machine i think. you could give me a brand new brother speedio and im sure id still manage to make a terrible part in stainless :P

in purest theory the svm0 should have no issues with the right tool used by an operator that knows how to run it.

the passion runs very high. bloody cnc bug. you lot take a chill pill.

Ian if it does not work look up hoss2006 youtube channel he has a few different pdb that work very well and are simple as **** to make and you can get the plans for them so you can use them in fusion360 and make the parts with your machine
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

in purest theory the svm0 should have no issues with the right tool used by an operator that knows how to run it.
    Yup, but if the spindle slows down like it did in the previous videos, it won't be pretty. Good finish in stainless parts is all machine and power consistency.
    Any spindle speed variations will be seen in the finish.

But, luckily for SVM owners, he is looking for precision.(parrallel sides on the cube and a perfect circle in another. That is mostly software, tool and setup.

Or Alcoa or Reynolds.

Hiiiiyyyyyy.........I think after a few posts nobody is really listening to the important bits that mean anything.............I do read.....I do take in the details.....I do listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have something to say......LOL.

Now Louie is a clever fellow......full of his own importance no doubt, but clever too, and one of his posts suggested that the magnets could be made to work opposite to each other so that they have a doubling effect to repel each other instead of attracting a steel plate......why didn't I think of that.

That design concept may work as it seems to have credibility.........a bench test will tell all.

The problem is a physics one.....magnets lose their strength when moved away from the target........one reason why I think the attraction to a steel plate will work better.......the closer the magnet gets to the steel plate the stronger it gets.....a very steep extremely sharp exponential curve.

BTW......I did try putting two Neodymium magnets face to face and was able to get them to touch......applying one of them to a thick steel plate and it was extremely difficult to get the last mm or so to a controlled move.
    Ian.

Yup, but if the spindle slows down like it did in the previous videos, it won't be pretty. Good finish in stainless parts is all machine and power consistency.
    Any spindle speed variations will be seen in the finish.

But, luckily for SVM owners, he is looking for precision.(parrallel sides on the cube and a perfect circle in another. That is mostly software, tool and setup.
    Hi.....a lot depends on the finishing depth of cut as this is unlikely to slow the spindle down.......the circle part depends heavily on the newness of the ball screws as any backlash when cutting a circle will show up immediately.

I suppose that a double ball nut on each axis and ground ball screws would make music, but who goes to that degree of expense unless you really have to.

Making the cube is still dependent on the quality of the vice and the squareness of the jaws etc.....in all planes.

Nobody in their right minds would think you can produce work to a high accuracy by milling alone.....that's why I use a surface grinder to get the last bit of precision required.........you can mill, but it's better to finish grind., unless of course the parts are just a test exercise to see how good Defeng made the machines......the tolerance of the job is dependent on the tolerance of the machine components.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    ...you lot take a chill pill...Ian if it does not work look up hoss2006 youtube channel he has a few different pdb that work very well and are simple as **** to make and you can get the plans for them so you can use them in fusion360 and make the parts with your machine
    Hoss is a pretty smart guy, and all of his PDB variations all have something in common: they use pneumatic cylinders.

You must have missed the 50 posts were everyone told Handlewanker just to make a simple pneumatic PDB, and Handlewanker swore over and over that he would never use pneumatic because he doesn't want an air compressor running in his shop ever. Too noisy. End of story. No pneumatics! Ever! and so on and so forth....
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi.....a lot depends on the finishing depth of cut as this is unlikely to slow the spindle down.......
    no. youve missed the entire conversation about this.

the circle part depends heavily on the newness of the ball screws as any backlash when cutting a circle will show up immediately.
    backlash is only a small part of this. lead accuracy, calibration, machine flex, tool flex, will all play heavily. hence the need for an operator with some knowledge and skill. the operator needs to set the cutting parameters to match the strengths of the machine. stainless steel isnt taken to flying by the seat of your pants. its gotta be done by the numbers or youll have a new light source in the shop...

Making the cube is still dependent on the quality of the vice and the squareness of the jaws etc.....in all planes.
    squareness of the vise? i think its more a test of the squareness of the machine no? bypassing the test is not a good way of testing...

Aluminium............French
    Aluminum.............English

Alcoa...................Largest US Aluminum producer
    Reynolds..............Wanna be.

You forgot Aluminium.... British English
    Michael Anton
    http://manton.wikidot.com - http://laserlight.wikidot.com

not exactly. they are both english from the same person.

alcoa is like number 5. most of the top 10 producers are in chiina or russia. reynolds doesnt count at all, i dont even think they make aluminium, they just process it into products - like foil.

(edit, cant read, didnt see "US")

Page 171 of 184 71121161169170171172173181