586,113 active members*
3,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 101 of 184 519199100101102103111151
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Well. if you need a machine as big as an SVM-I and intend to weld one up, then you better start learning to do cad and stress analysis, ',cos in that size it will need both of them.

I don't think many people who want to go a fabrication build fully realise the amount of steel in the build, and that translates to a full time professional workshop equipped with more than just a hobby welder.........if you don't have a really flat level and true surface to build on you ain't gonna get a mill.

As this thread is specifically about the SVM-0 I'd better not comment any further on alternative builds.
    Ian. .

Quote Originally Posted by skillalot View Post
    Defeng is working on a USA dealer, once that is aranged things should go much smoother for US buyers I think.
    That is all well and good but we will see a substantial mark up. A startup by nesscity of limit capacity will have a hard time hooking up with a large distributor. The means a smaller outfit that needs to make enough money off each machine to be worthwhile. Considering other things like taxes, transportation and the like, we could see a doubling in the retail price maybe even more that 2X.

LOL........it just goes to show how the plot gets lost in interpretation all along the way.

The whole point of importing direct from Skyfire.com is because the middle men, who would handle the goods for you, also add their percentage to the pool.

Once Defeng get up and running reliably and can give a reasonable lead time, he won't need any middle men scooping the pool........already the machines he's produced have made a name for him.

I'm quite sure that if anything went wrong with a machine during or out of the warranty period the dealer whoever would still be contacting Skyfire.com for advice or spare parts.....all at extra cost, whereas if you import directly you will be doing the contacting back to base.........you were able to contact the website to place the order in the first place, so an after market continuation is also on the cards.

BTW, for all Aussie prospective buyers, the prices quoted on the Skyfire.com website are all in US$..........shoulda ordered earlier when the OZ dollar was still high.

One things for sure, if a dealership is established, they will not entertain any direct to Skyfire.com by the prospective buyers where a dealership exists.......in a nutshell, Defeng will price himself out of the market.

Defeng has stated that he's been at the mercy of a third party before, hence the desire to go it alone and be the sole producer/supplier direct to the customer with full control of the product.........adding a dealership factor to the equation and he's repeating the same mistake by relegating himself to just a production worker, and if the dealership fails to promote the product well enough, then he will wither and die on the vine.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Well. if you need a machine as big as an SVM-I and intend to weld one up, then you better start learning to do cad and stress analysis, ',cos in that size it will need both of them.

I don't think many people who want to go a fabrication build fully realise the amount of steel in the build, and that translates to a full time professional workshop equipped with more than just a hobby welder.........if you don't have a really flat level and true surface to build on you ain't gonna get a mill.

As this thread is specifically about the SVM-0 I'd better not comment any further on alternative builds.
    Ian. .
    I can design in CAD, but I don't have stress analysis experience.

I think I understand the amount of steel involved, my column would be no smaller than 200x200mm at 16mm thick with gussets too. I also have a flat t slot welding surface, I'm just not the most skilled welder, that's why I was cautious about undertaking the task.

But you're right, this is the wrong thread for this, I'll leave it here.

Thank you Mr Handle. That is exactly the point. I for one, never want to have anything to do with a "dealer".

Don't give dealers a bad name. They do serve a function. Time is money. They can clearly state if there is any stock on hand.
    They help eliminate the hassle of going through a broker and having to deal with all the import fees etc. A machine bought from them may already have been tested here. You would likely have a definite ship date too. It may also allow faster shipping of some replacement parts, which can be a money saver by itself.
    How much is your time and sanity worth?

There is a reason dealers exist. They help take some of the heat off of manufacturers too so that they can just be busy making.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Don't give dealers a bad name. They do serve a function. Time is money. They can clearly state if there is any stock on hand.
    They help eliminate the hassle of going through a broker and having to deal with all the import fees etc. A machine bought from them may already have been tested here. You would likely have a definite ship date too. It may also allow faster shipping of some replacement parts, which can be a money saver by itself.
    How much is your time and sanity worth?

There is a reason dealers exist. They help take some of the heat off of manufacturers too so that they can just be busy making.
    Yes, that is a good point. In a market as big as the US a dealer could be a win-win. Not so sure about elsewhere.

A dealer or distributor can actually be a plus, as they can and would buy in bulk, dropping their initial cost and the costs of shipping and customs, etc. It's possibly easier in other countries, though I found the paperwork was pretty involved and did not want to risk problems or hold up in customs. There's a pretty strict protocol that has to be adhered to.

It makes it easier for Defeng as well, he can concentrate on making these machines the best he can. If you have to stop all production because you're a one man show you won't have much of a paycheck or life at the end. The longer the machine takes to build, the less profit is made even if the machine is sitting.

As to using FEA for small machine design that's a bit ludicrous. Manufacturers do this to make the strongest machine with the least material. The software alone costs more than some of the machines. For a one off or even small run it probably doesn't matter. Plus this is advice from someone building a weldment with no use of FEA. There was a guy in the router section that used FEA on a build... MADE OF 2X4's! With LM rails screwed in. Needless to say it didn't perform well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    As to using FEA for small machine design that's a bit ludicrous. Manufacturers do this to make the strongest machine with the least material. The software alone costs more than some of the machines.
    The student version of SolidWorks includes their FEA software, so it is not unreasonable for individuals to do this sort of analysis (assuming you re a student). The retail cost of everything that comes with the student edition is >$14k.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    There was a guy in the router section that used FEA on a build... MADE OF 2X4's! With LM rails screwed in. Needless to say it didn't perform well at all.
    Kind of not seeing the forest for the trees.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    The student version of SolidWorks includes their FEA software, so it is not unreasonable for individuals to do this sort of analysis (assuming you re a student). The retail cost of everything that comes with the student edition is >$14k.
    Not unreasonable to have the ability, I just think sometimes a little too much "knowledge" can be a bad thing...

As to the example I gave, the person didn't even have a decent CAM package, which limited what he could make with his machine anyway. You don't need FEA to design a machine that cuts circle and square pockets to about .01" tolerance!!!

in a years time maybe more maybe less fusion 360 going to have all that FEA stuff in it and it will work as it should, it`s there now just not quite polished.

defang does need a dealer over your way he could give tormach and novacon a bit of compation on there smaller machines if he get`s his act togetther a bit more, lou you wont to do it LOL
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fusion 360 already has basic fea. same as solidworks standard.

more advanced assembly simulation would be nice though.

yer that what I said

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    in a years time maybe more maybe less fusion 360 going to have all that FEA stuff in it and it will work as it should, it`s there now just not quite polished.

defang does need a dealer over your way he could give tormach and novacon a bit of compation on there smaller machines if he get`s his act togetther a bit more, lou you wont to do it LOL
    For God's sake no! I got too much on my plate now.... But the word is that there IS a US dealer coming, and Defeng has already told me that he has visited the factory already.

it might little off from topic

has anyone checked with DHL.. they ask more probably, but they pass trough on custom.. and no broker no hassle.. you pay the custom .. but merchandise coming to your door, so no waiting on bonded warehouse..

in my case I paid 500 dollar for sip my machine from 120 mile from here.. so I think next time I go with DHL

im watching this post long time.. and I think it s little cool machine.. I like also the clean design..

that's good hopefully the timing is right for me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ladies anbd Gents,

I am happy to confirm that my SVM-2 machine with full enclosure, cabinet stand, QTC (Air), 4th axis, and engraving kit is now on Vessel - Cosco England, and bound for the UK.
    It should be here in 4 weeks, so I will do a full report as soon as it lands and it set up

Below are some images

Attachment 288028

Attachment 288030

Attachment 288032

Attachment 288042

Attachment 288050

Attachment 288054

Attachment 288058

Attachment 288060

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z setter2(1).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	288062

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z setter3(1).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	288064

very shiny.

Looking very good!

Beautiful setup ! And the best news it's that mean that my place in the list go up hope end of September for my SVM-0

Page 101 of 184 519199100101102103111151