586,160 active members*
3,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Need help capping holes

Need help capping holes

I have cut my scan into pieces for production and I have some holes that will not cap. I have drawn a line where I think it should cap a big hole in the top and the entire side. I made sure the line I added touches int he right place on both ends. Cannot seem to get the poly surface and the line to join so I can get the cap to work. I also have two small holes in the middle that do not want to cap.

You may need to explode the object and delete the bad surfaces and create a new one manually. Using the Cap Holes feature is pretty picky about surfaces and edges that are not co-planar.
    Nathan

Looking for help

Is there someone out there that I can hire to cap the holes in 5 Rhino files and ready them so I can generate my G Code and get some work out of my new CNC? Specifically I need holes capped in 5 out of 6 Rhino slices. I would like to know how the problems were solved so I can try and use a simlar procedure on the next project. I am new to all this and am in need of some assitance to get past this hurdle more efficiently than I am making progress at this time.

This Worked On One Hole But Not The Big One

Can you show post the 3dm file?

Mike

ps it might not cost you anything!
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

File to Fix

The file can be found at
    http://fossil-world.com/temp/triceratops-piece2a1.3dm
    There are a few holes in this one. We added two lines along the edge and believe we got these connected correctly.
    Holes to be capped:
    A. End
    B. Small hole along top adjacent to end
    C. Large hole on top adjacent to end and goes a ways in
    D. Small hole inside on top.
    I would really appreciate knowing the steps necessary to cap these holes as I have more and am new at all this, thanks. :wave:

Posted file done in about 5 minutes. (chair)

try a bigger hammer.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

http://www.sutv.com/~dab_design/imag...e2a1CAPPED.3dm

Let me know if this is what you wanted.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Seems you got it Dustin

We were able to generate a tool path and will try it tomorrow to see that it cuts as expected. Can you explain step by step for a beginner how you go it done, so we can solve the rest of them? Many thanks? If it is easier to email these steps you can use [email protected].

Your time has expired. Please deposit an additional $5.25 for an extra 5 minutes.

Just joking.

Rather than trying to figure out why you couldn't get the cap command to work, I figured I would try something else right off.

First thing I did, was explode and ungroup everything. This was actually an unnecessary step. So you can skip it if you like. I started with the easier 'hole'. Which would be the verticle edge.

Use the 'planarsrf' command (surface menu - planar curves), then you need to select the curve you drew as the 'edge' of the part, and all connecting edges of the surfaces that touch the area that you want the surface in. You will need to zoom in real close in some places as there are some pretty small surfaces in there. Make sure you select all the edges touching the empty space. If you miss any, the command will fail. In the screenshot link below, I have the edges/curves highlighted in yellow.

Then after that surface was done, I realized something. anoel is right, Rhino is picky with the cap command. But there are only 3 things that I'm aware of that make a difference (of course someone will prove me wrong here). The first, is that all curves/edges needed to automatically create the cap, need to be 'flat' in the same plane. Second, is that there needs to be NO gaps. And third (the one that bit you), is that it can not create 2 caps at perpendicular angles that will be joined.

Basically, you needed to build one surface first. The verticle one I used as an example is of course the easiest/quickest. If you get that, then you can use the cap command, and it fills the rest of the voids.

www.sutv.com/~dab_design/images/1.jpg
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

I see said the blind man! I must have missed the warning about capping perpendicular surfaces in the manual. Many thanks. I feel a sence of relief similar too ...