586,390 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LaserPro GCC Mercury - strange

Hello
    I have question for you.
    I buy laser GCC LaserPro new Mercury.
    If I cut or groove, I have problem with radius.

I sent photos of manufacturers and I got the answer......laser it´s OK.

And I have question .... he makes me laugh manufacturer ? or is it all right ??

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sampl_laser.jpg  

it looks like the shaft encoders on the motors are dusty or dirty , take the X and Y motor out , carefully take the black caps off and use a soft brush and brush the disc encoders off. Put motors back , make sure the belts are tight. Clean all the rails and bearings and lubricate them too, especially the heads rail , check the rollers dont havre caked up rubbish on them.

The "laser" looks like it is OK.

For everyone's information GCC Mercurys do not have external encoders, so the troubleshooting should be in this order :

1. Make sure that the X & Y motors mounts aren't loose / moving
    2. Check that X and Y motors are OK and not "sloppy" when moving left & right. If they are then they have worn out and will need replacing.
    2. Replace ALL rollers (and make sure that roller guides / linear rails are DRY and ARE NOT greased)
    3. Check that belts are tensioned. GCC can provide the belt tensions if you have access to a belt tension meter - or contact a GCC dealer to see if they can do it for you.

My money would be on replacing the rollers should fix the problem, however Mercury machines are getting older now and to get 2-3 years hard work out of an X axis motor you are doing pretty good

Motors are expensive because they are high quality units.

Please let us know how you go!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    it looks like the shaft encoders on the motors are dusty or dirty , take the X and Y motor out , carefully take the black caps off and use a soft brush and brush the disc encoders off. Put motors back , make sure the belts are tight. Clean all the rails and bearings and lubricate them too, especially the heads rail , check the rollers dont havre caked up rubbish on them.
    From someone who has been factory trained by GCC in Taiwan and spent a couple of years maintaining everything from GCC Venus to the GCC GaiaII, I can assure you that you should never EVER lubricate the linear (X and Y) motion rails on a GCC laser.

When you do, they attract dust / dirt / grit which wears out the rollers too soon. It can make them wear unevenly, and even mask the physical signs of wear until it is too late.

The only exception should be the Z-Axis screws (up and down movement) which can be lubricated with the type of grease provided by GCC from new. I believe that it is Lithium-Moly grease.

Hello
    Thank you for your answers.
    I wanted to know your views.
    I make model accessories and this is useless for me if the machine works like this.

My dealer called me, that tries to replace the motor X.

We'll see if that helps.

I am sad from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jm_studio View Post
    Hello
    Thank you for your answers.
    I wanted to know your views.
    I make model accessories and this is useless for me if the machine works like this.

My dealer called me, that tries to replace the motor X.

We'll see if that helps.

I am sad from it.
    The GCC Mercury is actually a very good machine.

I would very much suggest getting it serviced before judging it so harshly.

I saw many people making models and parts with GCC Mercurys and they were all very good when *maintained* regularly and looked after

All the best with your hobby.

Hello
    I have question for you.
    I buy laser GCC LaserPro new Mercury.
    If I cut or groove, I have problem with radius.

I sent photos of manufacturers and I got the answer......laser it´s OK.

And I have question .... he makes me laugh manufacturer ? or is it all right ??

Thanks
    hi im sorry im not understanding your question ?
    radius is not laser problem but software/file/draw/settings

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    hi im sorry im not understanding your question ?
    radius is not laser problem but software/file/draw/settings
    You will find that this problem is not the software but something in the items I have already replied with.

The Radius issue happens when the motors, belts or rollers fail.

This I can guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by nick81 View Post
    You will find that this problem is not the software but something in the items I have already replied with.

The Radius issue happens when the motors, belts or rollers fail.

This I can guarantee.
    sorry for me its still not clear ,what is the problem with the radius ?
    is it the shape /the power settings in corner/speed in corner/or your suggestions.
    on the picture i cant see what is wrong.
    so i can understand the answer from chinese manufacturer,'laser is ok'

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    sorry for me its still not clear ,what is the problem with the radius ?
    is it the shape /the power settings in corner/speed in corner/or your suggestions.
    on the picture i cant see what is wrong.
    so i can understand the answer from chinese manufacturer,'laser is ok'
    1. GCC Lasers are manufactured in Taiwan, not in China.
    2. The radius issue is coming from "backlash" or "slop" in the x&y axis combines which makes arcs and radiuses become "flat" spotted.

Look closer at the image please

i increased the picture size and see it now

but it almost looks if the design of the letters are made in a square and the laserprogram
    sees the end of the square as limit/edge and draws/cut straight line.
    its always same part,to check,
    im curious if he can put the material turned on the table and see if its still on the same place.

Hello

Sorry if I judging it so harshly.I hope that everything will be alright.

Machine is new(warranty) and I have to wait for a technician from my dealer.

Now I have tried the same graphics and setting on Rotary Attachment (paper tube) and it is better....so the problem will not be setting.

I have had 3 mercuries , traded in on explorers for faster output, on which I did all my own maintenance
    I currently have 3 Explorers and 3 Spirits and can assure you that the mercurys DO have shaft encoders in the motors and that they DO give issues ,especially in the the earlier mercurys where the covers did NOT seal the motors encoders well and dust etc crept in.

I was also trained in maintenance by one of their engineers who flew out here and do all my own maintenance and repairs on my current machines and have had NO trouble with lubricating the guide rails etc. As per their own engineers advice , we wipe rails clean and use a lint free rag moistened with light machine oil after the clean, we also lube bearings every now and then , no issues.
    If you do not have a decent cleaning routine , you might have issues - we clean every 2-4 days or weekly , depending on what we are doing in the laser.
    My explorers are 7 years old and run 8 hrs a day , my spirits are 4 yrs old and all run 8 hrs a day.

Hello

I cleaned everything and it is the same.
    Do not know how to test if it is wrong to X or Y?

thanks

This might seem silly...

Hi im just reading your thread and looking at the image...

Some of the other guys have suggested problem with encoders, and possibly with belt tension.

however, i have had the same problem (albeit in a chinese laser ) when the focus lens had worked loose in its holder over time, due to vibration.
    The same could apply to a mirror. ( more likely to be a mirror from my limited familiarity with the way GCC's are put together )

Please examine the laser head - make sure the final mirror ( the one which directs the beam down to the workpiece ) is clamped firmly in place. and also make sure the lens is correctly located and clamped into its holder.

your image shows the "wobble" happening at the point where the head is turning from X to Y and Y to X thus the inertia will make any loose component move, and affect the beam path. especially at high speeds.

Check also the second mirror at the end of the X-axis.

It will take you ten minutes to check and eliminate from your enquiry.
    might be as simple as that!

Regards

KPB.

Hello

Techniques exchanged X engine and it's better. Still must replace the motor Y.

But it was bad communication with the USB and is exchanged motherboard.
    But is problem. If I do 500DPI and 500PPI is all OK. But if I do 1000DPI and 1000PPI I thought that the quality will be better ..... but laser doing gap.
    Please ..do you not know where is the problem?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser_500dpi.jpg   laser_1000dpi.jpg  

If they changed the mainboard, make sure that you have the latest firmware update.

Hello

Techniques exchanged X engine and it's better. Still must replace the motor Y.

But it was bad communication with the USB and is exchanged motherboard.
    But is problem. If I do 500DPI and 500PPI is all OK. But if I do 1000DPI and 1000PPI I thought that the quality will be better ..... but laser doing gap.
    Please ..do you not know where is the problem?

Thanks

Y-axis problem

Hello people,

I'm having a problem with the Y-axis motor/controller of my MERCURY 1. When turning the machine on, the Y-axis motor starts to run immediately and slams the lens- carriage into upper Y-axis of the working table. Then it starts the initialisation which goes fine. After the initialisation the Y-axis motor keeps humming. Sending a file and running the job stops this, and the job can be done without a problem. After running the job, and returning to the reference point, again the motor keeps humming.

During the job:
    * Pressing "stop" button during a job:
    Lens carriage slams with force into the most upper area of the machine bed.
    * Pressing "pause" button during a job:
    Lens carriage slams with force into the most lower area of the machine bed.

Don't know what the rotary attachment will do. I'm very afraid trying to run it in this condition.

I hope someone is able to point out some possibilities. Please forgive me my crappy English. It has been a while since high-school.

Kind regards from The Netherlands.
    Ger

:drowning:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmax View Post
    Hello people,

I'm having a problem with the Y-axis motor/controller of my MERCURY 1. When turning the machine on, the Y-axis motor starts to run immediately and slams the lens- carriage into upper Y-axis of the working table. Then it starts the initialisation which goes fine. After the initialisation the Y-axis motor keeps humming. Sending a file and running the job stops this, and the job can be done without a problem. After running the job, and returning to the reference point, again the motor keeps humming.

During the job:
    * Pressing "stop" button during a job:
    Lens carriage slams with force into the most upper area of the machine bed.
    * Pressing "pause" button during a job:
    Lens carriage slams with force into the most lower area of the machine bed.

Don't know what the rotary attachment will do. I'm very afraid trying to run it in this condition.

I hope someone is able to point out some possibilities. Please forgive me my crappy English. It has been a while since high-school.

Kind regards from The Netherlands.
    Ger

:drowning:
    i had also poltergeist experience
    in my case it was the high power cable of the lasertube,which was too close
    to another cable .somehow it caused interference.
    also if i have a bad software transfer and there is a short beep instead of the long.
    the machine reacts the same as your description

vriendelijke groeten uit cz

Hi,

Would be strange if this would be the problem in my case. The machine hasn't moved in the last year. But I will check it out anyway. No harm in doing that.
    You speak Dutch Curious?

Thanks for your reply.
    Vriendelijke groeten: Ger