586,700 active members*
2,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Approximate coast to build?

Hi,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some input.

What is the approximate cost to build a 4 X 4 (or 4 X 8 if it is not much more) CNC Plasma cutting table complete, less plasma cutter (I have a powermax 1000).

Thanks in advance,

Dirtbos

I would think no less then $2K. Figure Steppers $360, stepper drivers $450, 16 ft of aluminum extrusions at $2 to $3 an inch ~= $400 to $600, linear rails off ebay 4 each 4 ft long at $200 each ~= $800, ballscrews (2 each 4ft figure about $300 with ballnuts). You still need the z-axis and a table.

You can economize, by using steel instead of aluminum if you have all the fabrication tools to work steel (TIG/MIG, metal bandsaw, etc.).

Thanks ViperTX

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I build long travel sand rails. Take a look at the site if you get the chance. www.eaglefab.net I have all of the necessary facilities to build the gantry, table etc. out of steel.

I realize that my question was relative, as a lot depends on what quality, etc.

Do you feel that this forum is the best research venue, or are there others?

A 4 X 4 table would suit my needs 95% of the time, although a 4 X 8 would be nice. Occasional indexing would not be a major problem for me. Most of the time this would involve the mesh flooring as it is in some what odd shapes due to angles involved. The plasma cuts with out leaving sharp edges, which is a safety issue.

Thanks again,
    Dirtbos

You definately have the fabrication skills necessary to build a gantry style plasma cutter judging from the pictures on your website. I have a partially completed plasma table that I really need to get finished soon! I have all of the frame and other mechanical parts built as that was the easy part for me(4'X4') and I think that I only have maybee 150.00 in it so far. I just used rect and sq steel tubing and some cam roller bearings I was lucky to pick up cheap. I would guess that you probably have enough metal laying around your shop to make a 4x4 gantry, as for the electronics I am not sure what you would ahve to spend. Good luck with your project!