587,051 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HL-1 single point issues

95 HL-1. Will not cut an external single point thread.

Proven program that I have run several times in the past using G76 to cut a 3/8-24 thread in 316 SS. It seems as if it will not repick up the thread after each pass. I tried running a G92 and same thing. Material is not pushing back in the chuck either.

I replaced the spindle encoder in February. There was a list of parameters to possibly change. I only changed 79 from 8000 to 8192 per the instructions. All other parameters were 0, so it said to leave alone. I can not remember if I have cut a thread since replacing. I am pretty sure I have tapped with it though. I need to check my invoiceds

Machine has been sitting alot. I have not had very much lathe work and the last job I ran was the end of June. Not sure if this may have something to do with it? Actually its been run intermittenlty all year.

Not sure if I am missing something obvious.

Sorry if this is poorly written, Im a little tired from working two jobs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i have several jobs to get out and first it was my mill and now the lathe. :violin:

EDIT: Apparently I didn't tighten the encoder belt enough. (chair)

A big thanks to Jason at HAAS. Not only was the customer service second to none, but apparently they monitor these forums, as he already knew of my problem from posting here when I called them this a.m. :cheers:

G76

Silly question but are you sure you are in G97 and not G96

Not a silly question, but yes in G97. I checked all the G codes on the current commands page to see if something was turned on that I was missing. I will double check though.

The typical cause of thread mismatch on HL-1 machines is usually something loose on the encoder. This would be a loose encoder pulley or a worn belt that is slipping. The pulley on the spindle side is sweated to the spindle. I have not see one of those slip before. Unless you were getting alarm, I would say that your original encoder is still good. There could also be something loose in the z-axis as well. This can be verified with a backlash check.

At this point, I would recommend a complete parameter check and a test.

We will call you to discuss some futher details.

I was getting an alarm, thus the new encoder. I will double check the pulley to make sure it is not slipping and I will wait for your call.

Thanks much.