586,242 active members*
3,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Gadget ideas to move the TL-3 tailstock.

Gadget ideas to move the TL-3 tailstock.

I am playing with ideas to make a system to move the tailstock of my TL-3 back and forth on the ways.

Currently to move it away from the chuck, I use the carriage to push it along.

To bring it towards the chuck, I lean into the end of the machine and push against the tailstock. I risk falling on my face every time I do this, so I want a better system.

Idea 1 is a simple tow hook that would drop down from the tailstock, engage the carriage, and allow the carriage to tow the tailstock as well as pushing it.

Idea 2 is an extension to the rack at the front of the ways, so that it reaches all the way to the rear of the lathe. Then I could have a handwheel or crank mounted to the tailstock and engaging the rack, like the system used on LeBlond manual lathes.

Before I go crazy with the designing, I'm wondering if anyone else has found other ways to address this problem.

Sincerely,
    Frederic

Last shop I was at just hooked up an airline to the tailstock. A valve to control the amount of air, and a Y-splitter to send air to each side.
    Its been a while since I've been there but I do remember that the air went into the middle of each side of the tailstock base... I'm thinking they hooked an oiler up and got rid of greasing it.
    It didn't take much air to lift it and I (150lbs of weak) could easily push it around.

Urguys,

My jaw just about hit the floor reading that. It's a brilliant solution!
    They probably just took out the grease fittings and used the same passages for the air.

Frederic

TL-3 Tailstock Hover System

I finished building the hover system today. I am pleased to say that it works perfectly. Thanks go to URGuys for the idea.

It only takes 30 PSI to float the tailstock. Once floating, it can be moved with finger pressure.

A couple of permanent modifications to the tailstock are needed. The existing grease fittings are 1/4-28. I drilled and tapped those holes to 1/8 NPT so I could use the stainless fittings that we have in the shop. If I ever need to remove the hover system, I can install 1/8 NPT grease fittings.

Four 10-32 holes need to be drilled and tapped for the mounting brackets.

The regulator, valve and gauge are from MSC. The gauge isn't necessary, but I like gauges. Be warned, the regulator I chose is a cheap pot metal casting. It's very easy to tear the threads out, so don't overtighten it.
    Regulator 42007740
    Ball valve 04480125
    Gauge 56468515

I've shot some video, and will upload it later today. For now, here's some pictures.

Tailstock wheel removed for clarity.

Closeup of the regulator and valve.

Rear view.

Plumbing on right hand side.

Right side again, with the lathe in the home position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quarter view.JPG   back side.JPG   right side.JPG   right side homed.JPG  

left side.JPG  

Very professional! Much more elegant than a loop of rope tossed over the tailstock and toolpost so the tailstock can be dragged forward.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks, Goeff!

Here's video of the system in action.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZSxAY8Vks]‪Haas TL-3 Tailstock Hover System‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Fred,
    That is awesome, great implementation. What is the hex shape on the front near the chuck key?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    What is the hex shape on the front near the chuck key?
    The snowflake? That's a positive stop for the chuck. It's my design, but was inspired by one that the boss found in an ad. It's got 6 rare earth magnets to stick it to the chuck, and the chuck jaws fit in the three large openings. Once it's in place, the jaws can still open and close, and the stop lets you position work with Z repeatability.

Frederic