587,056 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finishing welds

Hi there,

I have just completed 3 small welds (using a stick welder). It is the first time I have ever welded and have never had any lessons/guidance, so as you can imagine, they are far from pretty...

After A LOT of angle grinding, I think the welds are going to do, but they still aren't the prettiest. What I would like to know is if I can use something like epoxy to put a nice layer over the top to smooth it all off. I am going to paint the part when I'm done. I know this is cheating, but I want the parts to look good...

Thanks
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Uuuhm.....well - need more practice, huh? Look at maybe a seam sealer or even caulk (homeowner style). It would likely be cheaper and easier to manage than something you have to mix.

Happy practicing!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

bondo? it's what they cover all our machines in after casting :P easy to sand and paint. expoxy isn't very easy to sand and doesn't take paint all the great.

But if it was smaller stuff. But im guessin it's not seeing you used a stick welder expoxy might have made it stronger :P

Hi Scott,

I should've said, I have got quite a bit of epoxy lying around from model aeroplanes AND I even know how to use it (no need to practice)!!! I'd just like to know if epoxy would be a suitable 'weld makeup'.

I need more practice...it's more difficult than it looks!

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Quote Originally Posted by sendkeys
    But if it was smaller stuff. But im guessin it's not seeing you used a stick welder expoxy might have made it stronger :P
    The part is small - each weld is only about 1 inch long. The part has to be sturdy, because it's a fairly critical piece for my mill. The welds are only insurance though - I'm using caphead screws as well. I definitely wouldn't rely only on my welds at the moment :stickpoke .

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

bondo, followed by spot putty, cellulose primer, paint, clear coat and beginner weld notwithstanding you'll go home with the cup

bondo, before it cures sands easily and takes all paints. Some finishes, like varnish for example, wont’ stick to epoxy so make sure whatever paint you are using does bond to it.

Everyone says bondo. but personaly I would go to an automotive paint supplier in your area and get REAL body filler. They have stuff that sands easier (than bondo) and sticks better and overall is more pleasant to work with. The only thing bondo has going for it is its so cheap that you realy don't mind throwing it away after it pisses you off! (chair)
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"