586,108 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Can the motor be re-wired to opperate from 240V 3ph

Can the motor be re-wired to opperate from 240V 3ph

I was told this motor could be but the data plate does not look promising.
    There are 6 wires coming out of it.

Thanks
    Ken

EDIT:
    The picture is not particurally clear so this is the data:
    VOLTS: 480
    Style: Serial
    CYCLES: 60
    Amps: 4/2
    RPM: 1670
    Type: 835 ( I believe)
    Service Factor: Rise Cont
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 91060128.jpg  

The 6 wires are for 3 coils. If the coils are wired as a star configureation that means it is 3phase and neutral at the center point of the star making it 415 volts ( Or whatever your supply standard is.) If the coils are wired as delta ( A triangle) no neutral is used and it then becomes 240 volts ( Or whatever your supply standard is.)

I will do a drawing for you if my words are not clear.

Changing between Star and delta wiring will change the speed and torque of the motor though.

Hope this helped.

Hi Benny,
    I'm lost !!!!

The 6 wires are each white and numbered 1 thru 6
    I see no diagram at all just the 6 wires.

It is presently 480 volts.

Dropping voltage will likely drop the HP from the .750 to the listed .375 , that is not much HP even for these big brutes. The bearings are also a bit noisy so I may be better off just looking for a 1 - 1.5 HP 3Phase 240 volt, they should not be all that much money for a used one. I want to run this with a VFD so I will need to keep to a 3 phase motor.

Benny before you go to the trouble of drawing up a diagram let me look into getting another motor, if that does not work out then I will for sure need some help.

Thanks much
    Ken

Too late I went to the trouble.
    Can you see that your motor has 3 sets of windings. obviously each set of windings have two ends. Hence the six wires.
    You will need to do a continuity test to establish each set of windings. You then wire it as the star setup as shown.
    In Australia our standard is 240/415 off the grid. I suspect your standard is 460 as you mentioned. Since you are going to buy a new motor you might as well try and wire it as suggested.
    It is a good idea to test the windings between the motor casing and the wires. There should be infinate resistance. If not, just bin it.

Benny,
    I pretty much understand the drawing but I am still confused, I have 6 wires, and they are all white.

Thanks
    Ken

Ken, the power loss isn't half.

Benny,
    I pretty much understand the drawing but I am still confused, I have 6 wires, and they are all white.
    You will need to use a resistance meter to establish the coils. ALSO If when using the resistance meter you find that there are more than two sets of wires with continuity. Then bin it.