586,475 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Adding a tool setter and probe

Adding a tool setter and probe

For sometime I have been considering adding a Renishaw OMP40-2 wireless tool and part probe to my Hurco VM-10. I have the WinMax control and was wondering what all would have to be purchased from Hurco software wise for tool setting and probing.

The Machine was purchased with the NC Macro package but I haven't talked with anyone at either Hurco or Renishaw to see if this can be interface to probing.

Has anyone done this type of installation before or is this something better left to a technician?

we have the vmx42, bought it 2 3/4 years ago with that renishaw setup, so the initial dealer install also installed the probe and tool setter. its tits, love it. there are lots of little calibration items plus fun wires to run, etc, so honestly it would be better off to have your hurco dealer come out and have it set up in a couple hours rather than you attempt it and take a couple days. you will want to get spare batteries for the probe, because they only last about a year. also, a nice thing to build for it for safety is a cup of sorts, take a sheared piece of 14 guage, about 5 inches by 10, and roll it to about a 3/4 moon shape, put a 14 guage lid on it, and a foot mounting, so you can mount it to shield your tool setter. reason why to do this is because with insert drills on stress proof material, your chips wont be chips per say, they will be stringy crap and sling everywhere, including breaking your tool setter pin. every time we ran these 1045 parts that require a 1.25" & 1.5625" insert drill, we would snap that breakaway pin. 28 bucks a shot. build a protective cup and used a tslot bolt to hold it down, now we save that money I can take pics if you like tomorrow of it. but the renishaw works awesome, and dialing in a new probe is a snap (one of my guys is accident prone and set a part on it and snapped the probe). so far i have only had to replace the probe arm once, but my brother deals with morons at his work (careless button pushers), and they crash the probe almost weekly at his place of employment (in haas machines).

so yeah, its an awesome piece, saves alot of time for finding center of holes, pockets, etc, as well as edges and outsides of cyclinders and stuff, i highly recommend it. and i would certainly leave it up to a technician so your downtime is minimal. as far as software on the hurco goes, ours came from hurco preordered with the renishaw and arrived new with the machine, so i dont know if it was needed or not.

tell ya what dave, call Jim @ stone machinery, tell him Shane Christiansen @ IDFI sent ya to answer a couple quick questions about this setup.......
    cell - 612-616-1487

he should be able to answer those right off for ya.

Fitting the TS27 and an OMP-40 2 is a piece of cake. I've fitted more of them than you can shake a stick at to nearly every type of Hurco. You'll need the software option enabled for each (can be done via email).

thanks bloke!

You'll need the software option enabled for each (can be done via email).
    Do you recall the name of the options and an approximate cost?

The options are tool probing and part probing. I don't know what the options cost - I am in the UK and pricing is different over here to that in the US. Best speak to your agent over there.

I found this with the original options price sheet when I ordered the machine. This maybe the one you're referring to?

Probing Interface Kit *Note: This Interface Kit must be purchased when ordering any Hurco probing options. Only one
    interface required per machine. Price $2,750.00
    Conversational Part and Tool Probing:
    *Conversational Part Probe, MP700 $7,400
    *Conversational Part Probe, OMP40 $5,500
    *Conversational Tool Touch Probe, TS27R $1,530
    *Conversational Non-Contact Laser Tool Probe, NC4 $4,590
    Probing Interface Kit *Note: This Interface Kit must be purchased when ordering any Hurco probing options. Only one
    interface required per machine. $2,750
    Probing Packages:
    Conversational MP700 Part Probe and TS27R Touch Tool Probe Package complete with
    Probe interface package.
    $10,500
    Conversational MP700 Part Probe and NC4 Laser Tool Probe Package complete with Probe
    interface package.
    $13,250
    Conversational OMP40 Part Probe and TS27R Touch Tool Probe Package complete with
    Probe interface package.
    $ 8,950
    Conversational OMP40 Part Probe and NC4 Laser Tool Probe Package complete with Probe
    interface package.
    $11,500

we have this one....
    Conversational OMP40 Part Probe and TS27R Touch Tool Probe Package complete with
    Probe interface package.
    $ 8,950

works awesome. just dont know how i would write it into a program to touch my endmill off before every part for automatic comp settings, but it works sweet for keeping your offsets and managing them between setups. I can jump right into another program by either using fixture offsets with a z value, or just probe my new z value and run it.

hey bloke, one thing i am trying to learn is how to get it to not set it at the default g54, but instead set it at any of the other fixture offsets. can that be done automatically, or am i doing it right by writing down the offsets and placing them into the fixture offsets manually?

Shane...I'lll give jim a call tomorrow and pick his brain on this.

Dave

Thanks for the pics Shane, now I have a visual as what you were referring to.

I did call Jim but haven't heard back from him. I'm flying out of the country this week and have to rely on Skype which some times isn't the best depending on the host country's internet capabilities. I'll ring him up again on Monday.

Looks like $,2850 is going to be the price for the software and interface, still waiting on install price.

can you help initial set up of part probe vmx 42 renshaw mp700 setting the z height

Re: Adding a tool setter and probe

Do you know where I can find these probes? a dealer you know of?