586,555 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pyrotechnics

Pyrotechnics

I suppose 32 Volts from the transformer was a bit close to the 40 Volt max for my home made stepper drivers because today there was the inevitable mains voltage surge

It was like the bridge of the starship Enterprise when the Klingon disruptor hits, the steppers stopped stepping and smoke started pouring from three very defunct driver chips

Luckily I had bought three commercial stepper driver boxes (a Gecko by any other name would small as sweet) and a pukka power supply so I won't be down long. Nearly finished wiring it in, have to rewrite my program a bit.

I shall miss being able to save the stepper coil info for next time when I exit the program but I suppose you can't have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I shall miss being able to save the stepper coil info for next time when I exit the program but I suppose you can't have everything.
    Not a clue what you are talking about ; but shame about the surge. On the up side you get to use them lovely Gecko’s.:wee:

John

Hi John

Not Gecko's, something that looks like Gecko's

It's all together, can't decide if it looks like a Christmas tree or a mouldy bolognese, have to tidy that wiring up.

Code rewritted and I was just excercising it. Max forward to max reverse 5 times in a row. It goes clonk when it changes direction, think I must be over-running the acceleration table

Nearly there

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motion.jpg  

They look like MSD drives I use from Motion Control Products.

Do you have a delay between direction changes? I have to finish tuning my X axis and am using a 100ms delay but want to get that down lower.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    Do you have a delay between direction changes? I have to finish tuning my X axis and am using a 100ms delay but want to get that down lower.

Good ol' Motion Control Products. Bit surprised when I rang up to buy, they didn't seem to know how to sell

No delay, I use an acceleration/decelleration table which sets maximum speeds when it is close to either end of the traverse. Only problem is, it doesn't seem to be working...

...yet

Robin