586,531 active members*
3,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Battery Exchange

We replaced the batteries in our OSP700L lathe. We're still getting the 4035 fault because we don't have a "battery exchange" floppy. Does anyone have the files to make my own battery exchange disk?

its in OSP format/dont think you can 'make' one...we just bought one 2 weeks ago from Gosiger and had it overnighted. just ask for a 'battery initialization disk' for a 700 control- think theyre only 30~40 bucks, still shaking my head to think you have to buy software tool to reset a freaking dead battery or initialize a new memory board.

Thanks for the information tc429, I'll give Gosiger a shout. I'm amazed too that it requires a disk to reset a fault and that it is not included with the machine. Tech support/design like that from the manufacturer makes me lean towards another manufacturer.

I'm a fanuc fan (weve been doing retrofits since '84) and so far still mixed feelings on okuma...at least phone support is freely available from Gosiger, but when its needed for such simple stuff as this, kinda makes me wonder... like all manufacturers, good points/bad points.
    personally I'd still take a 6*B-2, or 0*-A with 6050 drives any day...those old Fanucs were simple/dead reliable/cheap parts when needed...but yeah, no memory, etc... for a machine control though, they were like a old Ford pickup being a better work truck than a cadillac... even the newer Fanucs (great software from maintenance/retrofitter standpoint) have hardware that I'm not the biggest fan of- couldnt give me anything else with a 'i' series control...
    If Mitsubishi put a more Fanuc-like frontend firmware in their M64 control, they would have a great control- really think they could knock Fanuc off top of the hill volume-wise, shame. we bought a couple/almost switched, but every maintenance guy hated the silly firmware in the M64...a shame as Mits has pretty decent hardware. So far Okumas have been pretty reliable too, but the books suck in my opinion(too many/too much left out) and repair parts are skyhigh compared to Fanuc.
    battery initialization software... gee, think they are into building the best stuff, or selling support tools?

These guys might be able to help you, or know someone that can.

CNC Repair October 2010 Depot Repair Service and Exchange List

Good Luck~!:cheers:

The disc you need does not simply clear the alarm, it resets the date for the alarm to regenerate. The battery memory alarm is NOT generated by a drop in voltage, but by a certain number of days from the last time the date was reset. It is a very simple procedure and takes less than a half an hour. If you have a good relationship with your local machine repair facility, they may make a courtesy call to your shop and update your machine free of charge. Many will.