586,500 active members*
1,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 pulley spindle conversion vs CNC speed control

X2 pulley spindle conversion vs CNC speed control

I would definitely like some more spindle speed on my X2 so I was looking at buying the Stirling Steel belt drive kit. But I'd also like to (someday) put in CNC speed control. Can speed control be put in and reuse this motor? Or would I have to put a new motor/head on and spending $140 on this will be a waste of money now?

I believe this supplier is a member of the CNCzone.

Untitled Page

This is the one I am looking at myself. There are also many plans online to build one yourself. From my research many are using the C6 board from CNC4PC.com for spindle control.

Better price, quality looks good. Thanks for the tip!

That C6 board will control my stock motor set up and such? Sounds terrific.

xander18,

If you are planning on going CNC later then you will want the belt drive. Better to get it out of the way now. Most people for the X2 run the CNC4PC C6 control board. This will allow you to keep the same spindle motor.

Awesome, case closed. I'll order it tonight!

Edit:
    By 'it' I mean is one kit better than the other? I see that the Stirling Steele one has a plastic cover, that's not a big deal. Everything else looks equivocal except for maybe quality of pulleys.

I don't believe there is a plastic guard on the one I recommended. But really are you going to stick your finger in there while it is running more than once? :banana:

They don't call me 'Learn Hard' for nothin!!

And no, it's the other one that has the guard and seems to be slightly more machined. On one hand I'm a cheap bastard, on the other hand the guy who did the conversion on my mill did a pretty nice job. Would hate to hang the Mona Lisa on a peeling wall.

I have a Gecko G540 controlling my x2. It has a built-in vfd drive that can be easily configured to control the stock motor....no extra board required. I'm pleased with mine, it's worth checking out atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by rewster View Post
    I have a Gecko G540 controlling my x2. It has a built-in vfd drive that can be easily configured to control the stock motor....no extra board required. I'm pleased with mine, it's worth checking out atleast.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Saves me from buying another board when it comes time. Can't believe I missed that. I will only have to worry about a relay board for the coolant pump. I just drew one up in Eagle cad and have sent off the design to have made. :cheers:

Sure thing man. Here's the link I used to set mine up G540 VFD

G540 also has 4th axis capability if you want to add a rotary/trunion table later. I was going to go with a cheaper board, but keling has controller/motor/power supply kits that are pretty comparable in price.....fwiw.

Boy that belt drive looks familiar....

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    Hmm. Wonder where I seen that before? BTW, will be ordering one in the near future. :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post

DO you make one for the X1 mill?

Sorry to jack the tread guys.

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    xander18,

If you are planning on going CNC later then you will want the belt drive. Better to get it out of the way now. Most people for the X2 run the CNC4PC C6 control board. This will allow you to keep the same spindle motor.
    Tell me more about that variable speed controller? I hate to thread jack, but that may be just the thing I am looking for.