586,966 active members*
2,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > Tailstock drilling with Mori NL2500 lathe

Hybrid View

Tailstock drilling with Mori NL2500 lathe

hi all

I am trying to use the MD Tooling tailstock drill adaptor that can be seen on the videos page of their website. I have gotten the tailstock to work correctly by writing my own macro program and using a custom g-code (G374 which will automatically read program 9374) as the Mori-Seiki manual shows you. Drilling is no problem.

What I can't do is: Use the tailstock to drill while simultaneously using a turning tool to rough turn...just as the MD Tooling video shows. The Mori manual shows using a G375 at the end of whatever code you would like to perform during the tailstock drilling cycle. I have no idea what to put in the G375 macro program to allow the machine to turn AND drill simultaneously. Right now the turret will just stop while the G374 drilling cycle is being run(which is a macro program), then after the tailstock macro program completes and reads the M99 it will return to the main program and continue turning. It will give a macro error saying "no P number" if I put a G375 in there...because there IS no 9375 program.

Does anybody out there have this working on their NL lathe? Mori has been no help as well as MD Tooling so far. Anyone know how to execute the tailstock while using the turret?

Thanks for any input!

A shop down the street from us does this 24-7. I will see if I can find out how they do it. Who is your Mori rep? Ellison?

for anyone interested....

I got the simultaneous tailstock drilling to work on a NL2500. It requires a few things, other than the obvious tailstock drilling adaptor from MD tooling.

First is: it requires a special Macro program from Mori-Seiki. You cannot write it yourself because it writes the macro arguements to several different system variables which you probably wouldn't figure out on your own...you CAN write a program to just simply drill with the tailstock on your own. But, you NEED the Mori program to be able to drill while simultaneously turning etc... I believe Mori will give you the program if you ask them, but I'm not sure 100%.

Second: You must change a #6000 series PLC parameter to enable the tailstock drilling cycle. Again...I think if you buy the tailstock drilling adaptor from your Mori dealer I think they will tell you what to do, but I'm not 100% certain.

I can help anyone if they decide to get this option some day.