586,635 active members*
2,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Looking for a larger Mill G0704/X3 or RF45?

Looking for a larger Mill G0704/X3 or RF45?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum I currently have a Sherline Mill which I converted to CNC, it's been great and I'll likely keep it regardless of anything larger I buy.

I have a couple of projects to do that require removing a lot more metal than I really have the patience for with the Sherline. Seems like a good excuse for a new toy.

I was contemplating the X3, but having spent 3 or 4 days reading through threads here, there appear to be a couple of other options in the new Grizzly G0704 and the possibility of an RF45.

The RF45 seems like it's probably too big, and by the time I convert to CNC I suspect much more expensive with larger steppers/PSU etc (although I haven't really costed it out). I'd also have to find someone who could turn the ball screws for a CNC conversion unless someone can suggest a source?
    I also have concerns dealing with the delivery of something weighing close to 1000lbs. I also suspect the additional weight will make any sort of mod more difficult.

The X3 and G0704 seem comparable
    The G0704 seems to have had motor/controller issues, are these still prevalent?
    G0704 has a larger table
    X3 more weight
    G0704 has minimally a 4-6week lead time if I believe Grizzly

CNC Fusion appears to have a complete set of parts for the X3 CNC conversion, their G0704 conversion doesn't appear to be ready yet, are there any alternatives?

I guess it's unlikely that someone has both mills to compare?

Thoughts?

I think it will be hard to find a better bang/buck combo than the G0704. It can equal or surpass the X3 in cutting and has more travel to boot. Right now it and varient of it means a substantial wait time for delivery though. As long as that is ok with you then it's great mill. Seems early to tell on the motor issue although I'm seeing more people taking delivery but not hearing as many stories of flaming motors so hopefully that is good news.

The RF-45 is a beast and if you have big work in steel to do it's hard to beat it. But it's spindle speeds don't seem real well matched to AL work. So if you want a faster spindle you are right off the bat looking at having to mod it. Yes it will cost more to convert. Most people go with servos on a machine that large which means a good deal more $$$. Still, you almost never hear someone say "Damn, I wish I had a smaller mill that deflected around easier"... unless they are lifting some part of it at the moment.

I am VERY happy with BF-20 clone. It was exactly the upgrade I was looking for from the X2. It fits in my house, I rarely feel like I'm growing old waiting for it to finish something and I have not run into something it wont cut yet, not even the tool steel on my screw-less vice. I'm pleased to have it and it's obvious why it's so popular now.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I have a Sherline mill, RF30 and now a G0704. Though I had read every thread about it and watched Hoss', Elik (sp?) and few others videos til I was envious. I was surprised how small the 0704 is. My RF30 takes up too much room and I hate the round column otherwise it is alright. I havent had a chance to run it (G0704) yet (garage is full at the moment) but it appears to be a nice sized machine. It will free up some space when I move the RF30 out, right after it finishes modding the G0704 :-)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

The more I look at floor plans of my garage, and where things would it the more I think it rules out the RF45 clones, I can probably make the space, but I just don't need that much mill. I'm not doing production work and most of what I have in mind can be done in 6061 Aluminum, and looking at Hoss' videos the BF-20 has enough grunt to machine steel if I need it.

I'm not in any rush, the projects in question have been on my todo list for over a year, so another month or four won't hurt.

I'll probably pull the trigger on a BF 20 later today.

rpovey, I can understand that. I am guessing my 30 is smaller than a 45 and therefore a little large for my garage but not my mind. Hoss and others have showed very respectable cuts with good finishes from the 0704. On my Sherlines sometimes cuts as shallow as .005 could cause chaos. I cant imagine how mach faster a part could be made at say .1 @ 12-16 ipm in relation to .005 @ 4-8 ipm. I will know soon though. My 30 could of course do it but isnt a good candidate for cnc IMO.

Ordered the G0704.
    Now I just have to wait.....