586,137 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Introduction & Questions

Hi guys,

Total newbie here, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Daniel, and I own a small manufacturing company here in Nashville TN.

For most of our products, we use either Tempered Hardboard or ABS plastic sheets, about .25 in thickness. In the past we have outsourced the cnc part of our operation, but after the 2nd POOR quality batch of material we received, we want to possibly look into an inexpensive machine to handle it ourselves.

Needless to say, that is why I am here. There is no question about the authority in this forum. The reason I posted this in the Chinese section of the forum, is because I am 100% going to purchase a less expensive Chinese machine, and from what I have read, they are just as good as the expensive machines, especially for the light duty work we will need (maybe 10-20 4'x8' sheets a month)

Now, although I like to think I know a lot of things, the truth is that I would like to be treated like a total idiot when replying . Although I am technically inclined, I have absolutely no clue as to the workings or types of cnc machines.

Here is a sample of basically what we need to do would prefer in terms of simplicity:

1) load a 4'x8' (.25 thick) sheet of material in to a machine and be able to do the following:
    2) Be able to cut that 4'x8' sheet into 9 pieces of approx 32" x 16" (and other sizes).
    3) Be able to make holes, with and without a counter bore.
    4) Be able to make grooves (all the way through).
    5) Be able to put a slight rounded bullnose around the edges of each piece.
    6) Be able to round the corners of each piece ever so slightly

Is there a machine that can do ALL of this?

We would love to NOT have to touch the 4'x8' sheet at all once we load it, but we also know this may not be a possibility.

I mean wouldn't it be great if you could load a sheet and have 9 pieces FINISHED, drilled, nosed, and routed, without any more moving/positioning?

So what can u guys recommend based on my needs?

thanks!

Daniel

Hi Daniel:
    I am Alan from China and a manufacturer of cnc routers.
    I read your post, for your work, you need to cut(9 pieces), drill(make holes), nose and form the edges. it is a multi tasks machine.
    2) Be able to cut that 4'x8' sheet into 9 pieces of approx 32" x 16" (and other sizes). and 6) Be able to round the corners of each piece ever so slightly. I think these 2 can be one if we can make a g code file with corner when cutting.
    if possible, for task 4) Be able to make grooves (all the way through), we can use the same tool with cutting, it deponds on the size of the grooves and its position.
    then we need to make holes and form the edge with bullnose. As you can tell it needs at least 3 or 5 different tools.
    i think there are 3 options for you: 1: ATC machine; 2 Manual tool change machine; 3 Multi spindle machine.
    1.For a ATC machine with 6 tools can meet all your needs, in order to save your money, we suggest not to use a tool magzine but a linear one. it use T code and G54--G59 commands to make the work easy;
    2. For a Manual tool change machine, if it reads T code, then it needs operator to change a tool for it, and a tool sensor to gets its Z working origin each time. it needs operator when changing tools but this kind of machine saves money.
    3. For multi spindles machine, we can add 4 standalone Z for the gantry. they have different applications: Z1 for cutting, Z2 for drilling, Z3 for edge forming, Z4 for making grooves. of course 4 of them can do the same work at the same time. Fot this machine, the opeator needs no to change tools a lot and it is also can save money compared to ATC machine. But its gantry size should be larger, and your workshop should be at least 2 meters in width.
    My email address is: [email protected]
    Regards
    Alan

Hi Daniel:

We would love to NOT have to touch the 4'x8' sheet at all once we load it, but we also know this may not be a possibility.

I mean wouldn't it be great if you could load a sheet and have 9 pieces FINISHED, drilled, nosed, and routed, without any more moving/positioning?

if you dont want to move or position the pieces, there are solutions for it. It deponds on the table. there are 3 normal table: T slot table, Vacuum table, T slot + Vacuum table. those 3 kinds of table can not meet your needs. for vacuum table, if you drill or cut, then the material is not hold tight. it is ok for T slot table, but you need to make proper working sequences: first drill or make groove, then use bullnose to form the edge, at last cut.
    this way, it is cheaper and functional, and meets all your needs.
    And there is another thing i need concern, which position of the groove and the holes? if they are in the side, then it needs another solution.
    this is some video of my machines:http://so.tudou.com/nisearch/%E4%BF%...E%BE%E5%85%8B/, , pls check solutions for the groove or holes are in the edge.
    Regards
    Alan

Great

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the response.

I dont mind one tool change if it is quick and easy.... but i dont want to grab every single piece and have to doctor it.

My thought was this : could i route my holes and grooves and bores on the 4x8 sheet and then cut it into 9 pieces instead of cutting first?

What machine would you recommend if cost was the main issue?

Hi Daniel:
    Of course, you can make the holes, bores and grooves first on the whole board then cut it into pieces. it is easy to make it in a CAM software, such as: type3, artcam etc. you can order the working sequnces with different T commands.
    For me, i think the option 2 is suitable for you. Manual tool change machine with tool sensing function, it is fast and easy, just needs operator to change the tools.
    Normally we use HSD/Colombo spindle for this machine.
    Regards
    Alan