586,919 active members*
3,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by aadrew10 View Post
    What is the diameter of the drill bit and what speed is the spindle turning? How long are the flutes on the drill bit?

- Andrew
    im running 525 rpm. anything above that just makes a bad sound and i dont really like it. and the drill is 17/32

and flutes are 6 1/5.

I don't know if you are doing production or just drilling a few holes. Do you have coolant on it. Sorry, I'm not used to TM mills, always had VF's.

But, if you are just drilling a few holes, program it with a G83 with shorter pecks and higher feeds to help clear chips. Your drill should not slip. Was that in the holder?

Say, G83 Z-????? R.1 Q.03 F10. Up your RPM a little if you can. Don't know your machine. You might consider drilling a pilot hole of about 3/8" to save power on the 17/32nds drill.

Again, don't go slow or you will seize up the drill or load it up with chips.

Good luck learning.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    I don't know if you are doing production or just drilling a few holes. Do you have coolant on it. Sorry, I'm not used to TM mills, always had VF's.

But, if you are just drilling a few holes, program it with a G83 with shorter pecks and higher feeds to help clear chips. Your drill should not slip. Was that in the holder?

Say, G83 Z-????? R.1 Q.03 F10. Up your RPM a little if you can. Don't know your machine. You might consider drilling a pilot hole of about 3/8" to save power on the 17/32nds drill.

Again, don't go slow or you will seize up the drill or load it up with chips.

Good luck learning.

Mike
    was running coolant in a drill chucks, but i turned down the end of the drill to .5 and going to try using it in a 1/2" end mill holder. seems like it doesnt have as much wobble doing it that way too.
    not really production just running 4 parts with 4 holes each in them along with other things to it. but ill try using small pecks with higher feeds. going to be a little slower but as long as it gets done then ill be happy

ill also try step drilling with a .25 drill since i already have to do it with 2 holes. i know drills are designed for upward chip evacuation but u think that will allow them to fall through the bottom aswell?