586,974 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > 4th Axis Feed Rate Problem

Hybrid View

This problem may be dependent on your machine controller's specifications. What kind of machine? How are solitary A axis feedrates to be commanded: what units?

Typically, simultaneous XA moves will be controlled by the X axis linear feedrate (both axis must start and stop at the same instant), but A axis movements may need their own feedrate command, and it might have a degree/min requirement.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi. What software are using to drive your CNC? Is it the same software that you use to designing / create your cutting paths with?
    Martin G

Martin, I am running Mach3 on a Tormach PCNC1100. Right now, I am reading up on axis scaling and radius correction in the Tormach manual. I haven't gotten back to the machine to check out the new settings. One thing I notice is that the numbers engraved before the cutter goes *ping* seem to be the correct width. I'm wondering if changing the A-axis scaling will compress the width of the numbers. We'll see.

hi. is the encoder ppr setting in mach3 entered with the correct value? your problem sounds likely to be the culprid.
    Martin G

The ppr setting in Mach is certainly one thing to check. The immediate question, though, is why the A-axis feedrate calculated by Sprut is so high. (This is before the G-code gets anywhere near Mach). I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Tormach post-processor or with one of the Tormach xml files. Clearly, I have a lot more digging to do.

If anyone from Tormach is reading this, please feel free to chime in.