586,471 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is This a Good Deal?

Since deciding on a Tormach as my first New CNC machine I've been scouring the internet on a daily basis in search of that elusive, "Better-Deal."

I stumbled onto this for sale ad just yesterday. It seems like an excellent deal but, being a newbie at this CNC stuff I'm in a quandary.

I'm under pressure on the home front to stick to my original plan. That is, to wait till school is out and then order the 770 Deluxe package or bite the bullet and look into buying this 1100 model being advertised for sale.

Is it a good enough deal to forego my plans to buy sooner rather than later.

My gut feeling is that it's a good deal that I'll have to pass on due to my present circumstances.

I hate it when this happens!

Tormach 1100 CNC + Accessories - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    Since deciding on a Tormach as my first New CNC machine I've been scouring the internet on a daily basis in search of that elusive, "Better-Deal."

I stumbled onto this for sale ad just yesterday. It seems like an excellent deal but, being a newbie at this CNC stuff I'm in a quandary.

I'm under pressure on the home front to stick to my original plan. That is, to wait till school is out and then order the 770 Deluxe package or bite the bullet and look into buying this 1100 model being advertised for sale.

Is it a good enough deal to forego my plans to buy sooner rather than later.

My gut feeling is that it's a good deal that I'll have to pass on due to my present circumstances.

I hate it when this happens!

Tormach 1100 CNC + Accessories - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

MetalShavings

Price looks pretty good. I'd say 2-4k saved. One thing to consider is location. Where are you relative to the machine? If it needs crated up and shipped, it may cost you more than freight for a new machine from Tormach to you.

Good deal or not, due to circumstance beyond my control, it looks like I'm going to have to pass this one up.

Suffice it to say, The power of the vagina is powerful indeed. Besides, my "original plan" is still in place.

Some lucky buyer is going to get a really good deal.

And did I mention, "I Hate It When This Happens?"

MetalShavings

We all suffer from it......

We all rejoice in it........

grrr.... I'm 15 miles away! and I can't fit it into my garage till next year

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    grrr.... I'm 15 miles away! and I can't fit it into my garage till next year
    But it will fit in a storage locker... :stickpoke

lol. I wish I could. I'm going to convert an Sx3 in the next few months as "proof if concept" and see if I can make any money off if that before I pick up another $400 a month bill spend 5 nights a week many manually milling on an x3 that had now paid for itself and most of my tooling...

plus that will be a little cheaper to learn to crash on.

hope to get my tormach around next summer after we move.

I know that sometime down the road I'll kick myself for not buying this Tormach 1100 mill.

The reason I opted for the 770 model is because my shop is so tiny that if I got the 1100 I'd have no place to put it. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to re-wire my shop to accommodate the 220V rather than the 110V.

As it is the 770 model will need to be wiped down with vaseline to get it to slid into the tight space I've measured out for it.

Sure wish I could have taken advantage of this deal though.

Oh well, maybe I'll win the lottery or something.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    I know that sometime down the road I'll kick myself for not buying this Tormach 1100 mill.

The reason I opted for the 770 model is because my shop is so tiny that if I got the 1100 I'd have no place to put it. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to re-wire my shop to accommodate the 220V rather than the 110V.

As it is the 770 model will need to be wiped down with vaseline to get it to slid into the tight space I've measured out for it.

Sure wish I could have taken advantage of this deal though.

Oh well, maybe I'll win the lottery or something.

MetalShavings
    Tormachs seem to hold their value pretty well so if in a couple of years you find yourself in a situation where you have more room and easy access to 220, then you can always sell your 770 and get an 1100. Or even better keep the 770 and get an 1100 .

If you use it for two years and you sell it for $2K less than you paid for it, it means you got to rent it for under $100 a month. About what you paid for cell phones and cable for the same period.

bob