586,655 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Looking for the best Mastercam X & G-code Training aids for a beginner.

Looking for the best Mastercam X & G-code Training aids for a beginner.

I have my TM-1p set up in my garage...thanks to some of y'alls help....now I need to learn how to operate my Mastercam X program and learn G-code. Point me in the right direction Fellas...books, cd's, etc...

Thanks,
    Cuda

I have found the books by "inhouse" ae the best for mastercam.

as far as gcode you can dload that frmo the haas site.
    They have a very good book they use for teaching in there class's. The Warden (wife) got one when I wouldnt teach her how to run her new mill
    I posted a line once or twice in the haas forum.

IF YOU DONT KNOW G CODE DONT EVEN ATTEMPT TO USE A MASTERCAM FILE or any cad-cam file ON A MILL.
    you will crash it.
    learn G code first then after a few weeks(preferrably months), play with the cam softwares,

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    IF YOU DONT KNOW G CODE DONT EVEN ATTEMPT TO USE A MASTERCAM FILE or any cad-cam file ON A MILL.
    you will crash it.
    learn G code first then after a few weeks(preferrably months), play with the cam softwares,
    I agree,

Your best books at the moment are the programming & operation manuals for the machine, got very proficient in manual programming. You have to know your machine, what codes will / won't work with other codes, so the Error & Alarms manual should also be close by.

Now, when you do post code, you have to build your confidence that the combinations of code are correct, read your early programs completely, know beforehand what the machine, or tool, is going to do, and ensure that it does do what you expect.

You will learn what to look for in the NC code, and what you can skip over, typically you look mainly at the startup codes of each toolchange, for retract / clearances between operations ( most can be identified in Backplot ) or the tool movements between plane changes ---this is when you use more than 3 axis.

You should have a Mcam samples directory, these showcase various toolpath strategies, and some are used as work exercises when using the "In-House" manuals

Yeah...I figure I'll be spending alot of time on the laptop learning G-Code and Mastercam X....I ordered a "Learn MasterCam X for Beginners Today" It looked to have a lot of good reviews....Lookin for the G-Code training now. Also, I won't dare try running anything until I'm confident I've got it right.

Thanks Guys,
    Guys

a company called techedu also has some great learning tools for g code.

For help learning Mastercam,
    I have all the CamInstructor lessons on my laptop. I had to do them for my shop classes and still have them. They cover everything from basic geometry drawing, lathe operations, mill 2d & 3d, and solids. It's over a gig of memory because it also have videos to show you what to do as well as pdf files of the lessons.

As for as G-codes,
    I have the CNC chapter of the newest Machine Tool Practices textbook which covers a lot as a pdf file. I also have the edition before this one which is the book I used all on powerpoints.
    You can also check out Haas's operator manuals as they cover G- and M- codes.
    I also have Haas specific lathe and mill workbooks which cover pretty much each G-code in detail and has exercises to help you learn them on pdf.

These sites cover G- and M- codes, but not sure as to how much detail because I never went back to them after getting the workbooks.

LinuxCNC G Code Basics

Carlson Mfg. Understanding CNC G-Code and M-Code Programming

And of course Wikipedia

Hope that helps you out some.. If you want any of the files I have or the CamInstructor lessons just shoot me an email at [email protected] and ill get somewhere with fast internet and send them to you. Keep in mind the Cam lessons are like $250 and well worth it, but I guess if it's for a good cause you could have them.

Also, anyone else reading this needing the same help do the same shoot me and email and I'll help ya out.

Peter Smid writes the standard textbook for the industry on g-code--"CNC Programming Handbook". It's a pretty typical school textbook in flavor, but is well written.

A copy of Smid and the manual for your CNC controller will go a long way.

I'm putting together a CNC G-Code Tutorial on CNCCookbook, but its still very much at the beginner stage so far:

CNCCookbook's G-Code Course and Tutorial

Adding content steadily. You can use the free G-Wizard Editor beta as a simulator to play with some g-code programs.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html