586,357 active members*
3,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > What current set resistors do I need.

What current set resistors do I need.

I will be hooking my cnc table up for the first time this weekend. I am a bit unsure on working ou the current set resistors. I am running a 270oz-in and a 1200oz-in stepper motor. The motor specs can be found at:

http://www.homeshopcnc.com/page3.html

Can someone please tell me exactaly what resistors I need to buy.

Cheers

Peter

Let's assume you want to wire the motor in parallel. The current rating is 4 amps per phase then. The resistor formula is:

Ohms = 47,000 * I / (7 - I)
    Ohms = 47,000 * 4 / (7 -4)
    Ohms = 188,000 / 3
    Ohms = 62,667

The closest standard 5% value is 62K, the closest standard 10% value is 68K. Either will do.

Mariss

Mariss,

Is it possible to control current with external voltage reference? If yes, then what is the current set formula?

It would be cool to adaptively control current with MCU.

Yes, you can. The phase current is directly proportional to the voltage on terminal 11. The transconductance is 2.5V per amp of phase current.

Mariss

Hey Mariss

Hey Mariss,

With those current set resistor calculations. Do I just use the motors max rated amps? Or do I have to use 2/3 of the motors rated amps to work out the resistors?

Cheers Peter

Use the motor's unipolar rating if you plan to run a 6-wire motor 'half-winding', use 1/2 the unipolar rating if you plan to run it 'full-winding'.

If it's a 4-wire motor, use the motor rating. For 8-wire motors, use the published series or parallel ratings.

Mariss

Current set resistor

Mariss,

With the 270 motor that I have. I want to run it in bipolar mode. As bipolar mode has a holding of 270, whilst unipolar has holding of only 190.

Can I just run the calculations by you just to make sure, I don't want to blow anything up!

Now what is half and full windings? Is that just unipolar(half windings) and bipolar(full windings)?

The first motor that I am using is the 270. This motor will be run as bipolar so it can make 270oz-in. So the Rated current per phase (amps DC) for this motor to make 270oz-in is 2.8amps.

So do I use this figure of 2.8amps, then half that to get 1.4amps to use in the formula, Ohms = 47,000 * I / (7 - I)?

So we have:

Ohms = 47,000 * I / (7 - I)
    Ohms = 47,000 * 1.4/ (7 -1.4)
    Ohms = 65,800 / 5.6
    Ohms = 11,750.

If this is all correct, and I have to use this 11,750ohms rated resistor can you please let me know. Also what % do these have to be 5% or 10%. I think that 5% would be better because it is more accurate????

Now what happens if I can not get a resistor that is rated at exactaly 11,750ohms? Do I use the next higher rated one? or do I use the next lower rated resistor?

Now the 1200 motors are 4 wire bipolar, rated at 6amps per phase. I think that these can only be hooked up a bipolar so that means that I will have to use a resistor worked out using 3amps not 6amps? Is this right?

Cheers

Peter

current set resistor

Mariss,

Taht last bit about the 1200 motor. I re-read what you said earlier. This motor is a 4 wire.. So I will use the rated amps to work out this current set resistor, which is the 6 amps.

Peter