586,494 active members*
3,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Never Heard of GibbsCAM till now

Never Heard of GibbsCAM till now

I finally quit procrastinating and signed up for a CAD/CAM CNC programming class at one of our local Community Colleges.

I've been studying on my own (off-and-on) since the middle of last last year. I must have some sort of dyslexia thing going on cause I can only retain a small fraction of what I've studied thus far. I'm more of a hands-on type of learner.

Checking the class's curriculum I discovered that we'd be using the GibbsCAM software. I'd never heard of this software till I looked over that curriculum.

Can anyone here tell me which of the many other CAD/CAM softwares the GibbsCAM software most closely resembles?

I've been working/studying/practicing with turboCAD, Mach3 and one other free version that I downloaded off the internet. I can't remember the name of it right now; all I remember is that it was FREE.

One thing that has kept me from trying other CAD/CAM softwares is the fact that I'm a Mac-Computer guy. There don't seem to be nearly as many main-stream CAD/CAM softwares for Mac's as there are windows-based softwares.

If were so inclined, and I decided to buy the GibbsCAM software, what could I expect to pay? I know there's earlier versions and most recent versions. I just need a general idea.

P.S. I have yet to buy my first CNC mill. I thought I'd wait till I got this programing class under my belt. I had planned on buying in January of this year. I finally got my financial ducks-in-a-row so, that's covered.

I just figured I'd wait till I got some formal learning under my belt first.

I hope this isn't one of those new threads that goes unanswered. I'd kind of like to know what I'm in for with this particular software.

Thanks

MetalShavings

MetalShavings

It's one of the best cam software packages out there, & is very easy to use, so you won't go wrong by learning or buying it
    Mactec54

Metalshavings,
    Before I would buy GibbsCam I would defiantly Look around at some other Cam software company's. The Company that I work for sent three of use off to Applied Engineering for Inventor Cam (solidCam) Training for two full days. defiantly well worth it, the software is very easy to run on it's own but having the extra training to show all the functionality that it offers is worth that additional cost of training. Not to Mention that if you need help it's nothing for them to do a Go To Meeting with them to help you through your project.

Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for the quick responses.

In addition to getting more hands-on CNC programing training from the class I eluded to, I figure that since GibbsCAM will be used as part of the curriculum,
    this same class will also serve as my formal GibbsCAM training as well.

I've done an internet search of the price of this particular software but haven't come up with anything definitive.

I did come across the following website and I wanted to ask those of you more experienced guys if it sounds correct:

Download OEM GibbsCAM 2009 9.3.6 (1 cd) buy cheap | Best OEM Software

Thanks again for your help.

MetalShavings

MetalShavings

I don't know what those guys are doing trying to sell Gibbs cam for $50 is all about, may be just a book or flyer, The only place you can get Gibbs cam is from a Gibbs representative/reseller, they also offer training, call Gibbs & they will tell were your nearest Gibbs supplyer is, the price I'm not sure but starts around $4600.00 for 2-1/2D, If it's being sold for less, It's a scam for sure

Ph 805-523-0004

http://www.gibbscam.com/about_gibbs/...age=contact-us
    Mactec54

Looking for post processers for gibbscam

Lathe, mill, 2-3-4-5 axis, edm, waterjet, ect. Anything you have let me know!

Gibbscam is a great program. Training goes for around $750 per day!
    A basic program with one seat $4000.00 for one machine.
    To over $37.000.00 for a deluxe package. (3 year old priceing)

Gibbscam runs way more than 30 diff machines i know of and any brand adding more every year.
    This cam prog lets you machine parts right on your laptop you see mistakes
    and correct them as you go.

If i could get votec or college course id jump at it!

I have 50 watt co2 lazer and a Denford cnc micromill 3 axis, and microturn lathe, from local aircraft training school.

The post processor files have .pst extensions on them

Thanks for any help you can give in advance!

Mudpuppy is right, this is an expensive CAM system. If you find anything for only 50$ I would be exceptionally suspicious. In my experience with GIBBS definitely look around at other cam systems. GIBBS is alright but be sure to find out about tool libraries, GIBBS has limited capabilities. Also huge is make sure that you have the ability to edit the post. Along with that is maintenance fees. You might check out Esprit.

I believe this CNC class I'll be taking next month teaches GibbsCAM because they assume their students are studying toward a job with a large manufacture that can actually afford to pay for this software.

It's not really geared toward the in home CNC owner. Which I will soon be.

I've been studying GibbsCAM on and off via the various internet tutorials. It doesn't seem to be to complicated. The fly in the ointment is the price of this software. Maybe I'm just cheap but, is any software worth this price? I think not.

I think I'll stick with my TurboCAD software.

At any rate, because of this class, I still have to learn it. Who knows, maybe one of the other students or the instructor can turn me on to an inexpensive way of accessing this software for home use.

MetalShavings

$50 for a copy of GibbsCam is just them stealing it and selling a burnt disk to you.

It's good software. Even better when you can call them for support, something that you won't do when you get the $50 disk.

My advice. Fuggetaboutit. Having it before you do the class, that is. Do the class, figure out what you need to do, then figure out if you need to buy the seat, and what options you need.

GibbsCam was a Mac product way back, but the market wasn't, so they dropped it. IIRC they are doing Mac again. Not my thing (Macs) so if you need to know for sure, dig around the Gibbs site.

Trev