586,398 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motorized Up/Down table

Hi all,
    This was also posted on a much smaller and newer site but I wanted to get a broader view with personal opinions of the motorized up/down table option to a laser laser about to be purchased, so it is also posted here.
    It is a $370 option so no small amount. Presently I do not for see it as being parti9curally useful but with no laser experience my opinion is not of much value.

Those of you that do not have it, do you regret not getting it if it was available?

Thanks
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    Hi all,
    This was also posted on a much smaller and newer site but I wanted to get a broader view with personal opinions of the motorized up/down table option to a laser laser about to be purchased, so it is also posted here.
    It is a $370 option so no small amount. Presently I do not for see it as being parti9curally useful but with no laser experience my opinion is not of much value.

Those of you that do not have it, do you regret not getting it if it was available?
    Are you going to be engraving thick items like laptops and computer cases?
    I have a FSE 40 watt with only a couple inches of available height adjustment and mostly use the laser for cutting 1/4 inch and thinner material. It has a 9 inch diameter thumb wheel at the front of the machine for height adjustment and it is no problem raising or lowering the table a bit for focusing (unless I forget to do so, duh! ). However, it takes a lot of cranking on the few occasions that adjustments are needed for thicker materials.
    If you are getting a big laser with a lot of vertical clearance and are planning on engraving your jack-o-lanterns and later putting smiley faces on your pancakes, you will want the electric lift.
    16 threads per inch times 10 inches while turning a knob under a machine is a lot of twisting.
    Also, if you are getting a rotary device in the laser, you will need to drop the table and an electric lift will be much appreciated.

On some machines , you have to access the middle of the table to raise or lower the bed , often impossible if you have a cutting grid on the bed. Find out how you would adjust the bed on the laser you have ordered.
    The option is expensive only if based on the total price of the machine , if you have ordered a $5000 machine , it's not that bad , on a $1000 machines , its darn pricey...