586,636 active members*
3,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Scraping ways

Are ther any good sights out ther on how to scrape ways? I know this is a very skilled process but I'm interested in in. I am actually interested it in to be done on a homemade machine from scratch. Thanks.

right in front of ya. might take a bit of wading through though

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11874

I was trying to break down the myth that it takes some special skill. cutting a diamond takes skill, scraping is just a process requiring methodology, knowledge and a tireless arm - well within an amateurs ability to pick up. Furthermore, its basic shop skill used for lots of things other than machine ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    I was trying to break down the myth that it takes some special skill. cutting a diamond takes skill, scraping is just a process requiring methodology, knowledge and a tireless arm...
    ... and a masochistic bent for embarking on something as stimulating as watching paint dry (and I can't find an icon that says 'just joking' so this will have to do).

yeah well, i don't get out much anymore

Quote Originally Posted by will_eng
    Are ther any good sights out ther on how to scrape ways? I know this is a very skilled process but I'm interested in in. I am actually interested it in to be done on a homemade machine from scratch. Thanks.
    On a serious level I was sitting here and thinking about someone embarking on a project like this. Did you ever see the TV program "Connections"? It dates back a few years and, if you have not seen it, it traced the links between different technologies and how practically everything depended in some way on something that went before. It is not an exaggeration to say that all machine tools today can in essence be traced back to the hand built lathes and shapers made by filing and scraping iron castings to create accurate guideways back in the 1700s. And they often were literally homemade machines because the craftspeople of those days did work from their cottages; this was right on the leading edge of the industrial revolution.

So, will_eng, if anyone asks you, you can say you are pursuing leading edge technology.